Chapter 23 | They finally got me

Start from the beginning

While staring at her, I feel my chest bulge in anger, and tension pulses in my temples when she whispers to me "it's okay" and I can't believe this woman.

It makes me angry! It makes me fucking furious, driving me nuts to see how damn effortlessly she is giving up.

This is not what she deserved. This is not what I want for her.

I lower my gun, never taking my eyes from Becks.

"No Becks, it's not okay," I tell her and make my way to the door where she's standing, pulled by an invisible force.

I curl an arm around her waist and squeeze her in a hug, kissing her forehead.

Surprisingly, nobody moves, nobody says anything.

"I'll see you in the morning, Papa," I tell him, still looking at Becks, and locking my eyes with hers.

I'm fairly sure by now they know I've given in. They fucking knew I could never give up on her and they played the lamest game on me.

Well, it's just a battle I've lost. And I'm going to move with their shitty plan because it seems there is no other way. For now.

What they don't know is that getting into the business and becoming Don in Italy means that I'm going to become fucking cruel with anybody who crosses my way. And when I say anybody, I mean absolutely everybody.

And papa knows who I'm and who I can be. And he also knows this is the last thing I want to do.

What concerns me is that he still has played that game on me and that tells me one thing.

Italy is deeper waters than I can tell. I've left it four years ago and I've never cared about it again but now I'm sure I'm going to have a hell of a lot of work.

But that's not the worst. The worst is the danger that is going to blow in the back of my neck every minute.

Becks and I left the office and papa's mansion without any other word to anybody around or to each other.

While crossing the living room I see mamma facing her back to me, working on something in the kitchen.

I don't stop. I just walk straight to the front door, holding Becks' hand, and decided to never step a foot in this house again.

I'm going to do whatever my father wants me to do. I'm going to keep Becks with me and at the right moment, I'm going to get out of the business once things are settled in Italy.

Opening the passenger door for Becks, she slides in, making herself comfortable while I buckle her seat belt. I hop in the driver's seat, but before turning on the engine, I pull my phone out and dial Carlos's number.

"Hey, Carlos, how are you?"

"Good, Enzo. Listen, I'm really sorry. I had my orders. I swear I haven't touched her in any way."

"I know, Carlos. I know. Listen, do you have any news about Tate?" I asked him, as I still have a promise to keep.

"Yeah, he has been taken to hospital after the shooting, and for what I've heard he is in a coma."

"Which hospital?"

"Unity Hospital, Rochester," Carlos replies, and as always, Carlos has been a major help.

"Grazie, Carlos." (Thank you).

"Nessun problema," he replies, and the line disconnects. (No problem).

I put my phone down and as soon as I let it falls in the holder, Becks takes warmly my hand with both of hers.

"Thank you, Enzo," she says, and lifting my eyes to her I get lost, as usual, in the green of her big eyes, floating in a pool of tears.