Chapter Eight

Chi-Chi sped across the water, towards Kame House, in her father's car. She had an angry look on her face since her husband and children hadn't returned the night before.

"Now Chi-Chi," Ox-King began gently, "don't be too mad."

"Shut it, dad," Chi-Chi snapped. "I told them to be back by dark."

"Goku hasn't been to Kame House in a while," Ox-King said. "Probably had a lot of catching up to do and lost track of time."

"Well good for Goku," Chi-Chi said sarcastically. "The twins have school."

"Mae and Gohan are only four years old," Ox-King said. "They can miss a day of preschool."

Chi-Chi scoffed at his statement. "It's a competitive world. It's never too early to get an edge."

At Kame House Roshi and Krillin were sleeping along with Mae. That night, while she slept, they made the decision to cut off her tail. When she woke she felt a bit strange and when she tried to walk she stumbled a bit. She looked back and realized the reason she was off balance was because of that. Mae stumbled over to Bulma who was working on repairing the Saiyan scouter. Bulma was completely focused on her task. She watched Bulma for a moment until she grew bored and sat on the ground.

Suddenly Bulma jumped up, "hey! I did it!" She turned to see Roshi and Krillin sleeping. Angry, she pulled out a machine gun and fired at the sleeping pair. Mae covered her ears at the sound of gun fire. "If I don't get any sleep fixin this thing then you two don't either!"

Roshi and Krillin were now awake with welts from the bullets. They both looked at Bulma with a fearful look, but they also thought she was crazy, firing a gun in front of a small child. They looked at Mae who had a calm face, leaning against the turtle.

"Hey, turtle lover, get up," Bulma gestured to Roshi.

"Turtle lover?" Roshi repeated as he stood.

Bulma pressed the button on the side of the scouter. "I changed it to our numeric system. Lets see...139, a reading of your power level."

"139? That's impressive, but how does it figure it out?" Roshi asked.

"What about my power? Bulma, what about mine?" Krillin asked eagerly.

"Krillin is...woah! It's 206!" Bulma exclaimed.

"206!" Krillin looked at Roshi. "I could kick you around the block!"

"Are you sure that thing is fixed?" Roshi asked flatly.

Bulma used the scouter and looked at Mae, "she's got a power level of 5."

Mae's eyebrows twitched. That wasn't going to be enough to beat Piccolo and save her brother. She silently thought to herself on how she was going to get stronger.

"The best part about this saiyan scouter, is that it spots powerful people all over the world and it tells you where they are," Bulma added. She suddenly got a reading, "huh? There's a 250 about 3000km away. Who could that be?"

"250?" Krillin repeated. "I know! It's Tien Shinhan!"

"A 177 over that way," Bulma pointed.

"I'm guessing Yamcha," Roshi said.

"And a 329," Bulma looked over. "But who's that?"

"It's got to be Piccolo," Roshi said, making Mae perk up a bit.

"Oh yeah, then Gohan must be there too," Krillin said. "Sh-Should we g-go save him?"

"My heart says yes, but my brain says that Piccolo took the child as a part of a larger plan to save the Earth," Roshi said.