Chapter 14: A Kilkenny Party

Start from the beginning

Entering her room, Angel was glad for some privacy and happy that they had not made her share with her cousin. The room was small but well-kept and comfortable with a marvellous view of the front of the estate from the windows so she could watch everyone arriving as she sat with her diary in her lap.

In the early evening, everyone gathered on the extensive lawn at the back of the house for a garden party. Tables had been set up with a large buffet, and there were plenty of chairs and benches placed throughout the garden for the guests. Coloured lanterns created a cosy atmosphere. Further back from the house, a large hedgerow maze ruled a vast expanse of land. She wanted to explore it, but preferably in broad daylight.

She spent most of her time on James's arm and found it a pleasure to be with her brother. They shared jokes, and James gave her tidbits of gossip about the other guests. There were more unmarried women than men at the feast, which made sense considering the primary aim of the event.

The hostess herself walked around with her son in tow to ensure he met every single one of the unmarried ladies. Since Angel was not officially connected to Philip, she was one of the women Lady Kilkenny made sure her son greeted. Gabriel Winter was a pleasant man with ruffled blond hair and green eyes who seemed to put up with his mother's matchmaking with remarkable patience.

Now that she was determined to call things off with Philip, she figured that a man like Gabriel Winter was what she should look to for marriage. He was soft-spoken and nice-looking without being so handsome that women would trip over their feet to catch his attention. Like Nathaniel.

She winced at the treacherous thought before throwing a quick look over her shoulder to see what the marquess was doing. As one would have expected, with so many single young ladies present, a fairly large number of giggling females surrounded him.

If Lady Kilkenny was serious about wanting to marry her son off, she should probably stop inviting men like Nathaniel, since most would choose the handsome marquess over the pleasant future earl any day. Even James had received a fair bit of attention. But she supposed her brother was a good-looking man, and while his title wasn't as high as Nathaniel's or the one Lord Winter would eventually have, a Viscount was nothing to scoff at.

"Are you having a good evening?" James asked, bringing her back from her thoughts.

"Very much so, thank you. This is a beautiful estate."

"Yes, the Kilkennys are a good family." He nodded. "Had you not been promised to Philip, I think I may have tried to match you with Winter."

"Even though you think him rather dull?" she teased, having heard him talking about the future earl with one of his friends.

James's eyes widened in horror. "I never said that!"

"You did. I heard you."

"Well..." He made a face. "Winter may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's a pleasant fellow who would treat a wife well."

She laughed quietly and gave her brother's arm a reassuring pat. "Not to worry. I won't tell anyone you said so." Winking at him, she was amused to see James's bewildered look.

"I'm not used to you teasing me. I'm beginning to think I've not spent nearly enough time with you," he muttered. "It's a regret of mine that we never saw much of each other growing up."

She smiled wistfully. "It's true that we didn't, and it would have been nice to have you around more. But you were in school and you had your own life. You were too young to take care of me by yourself." Her smile widened. "But you can spend more time with me now."

"I intend to," he said, returning her smile. "Before you are married and Philip whisks you away."

"Of course," she mumbled, unable to meet her brother's eyes. He deserved to know that she would not fulfil their parents' wish, but she wanted to talk to Philip first. Maybe she worried her family might try to convince her otherwise, but she wanted to have broken things off before telling anyone.