It would only be a one-and-a-half-hour-flight but even though I didn’t have to stay in the hospital anymore, getting on a plane wasn’t the first thing you should do, especially not with a bad concussion.

I checked my reflection in the mirror and even though I knew I looked a lot better than a couple of days ago, I was still worried about the looks other people would shoot me. I had never been the kind of girl that liked to be in the center of attention.

I tried to smile, but it didn’t reach my eyes and my lips were brittle and had lost their rosy color.

I was nervous. Damien had told me that we would be visiting his parents and the rest of his family as soon as we landed so they could meet Charlie. And me.

We had also agreed that Charlie would be spending Monday through Friday with me because he would be busy with work anyway and the weekends with him and his family, as long as he didn’t have to stay at the hospital of course.

His next chemotherapy session was scheduled for Sunday and his second, and hopefully last, surgery would be coming up soon, maybe in less than two months.

And if Malcolm finally went to prison, or at least a psychiatric clinic, for what he did, then maybe everything would be okay again, or at least that was, what I told myself.

Talking to the police hadn’t taken very long but they asked me a lot of stupid questions about me, Malcolm, Charlie and even Damien.

I had given them Malcolm’s name, address, the names of all his friends and family and a description of his truck.

They had me told there was a good chance of finding him before he could come back and hurt me or anyone else again and for the first time I had been actually relieved that we would be going back to New York because there was no way Malcolm could know that we would be going there.

I didn’t have any more time to worry because the door opened, and Celia and Derek opened the door. When she saw us, Celia exhaled relieved.

“Good, I thought you might be gone already. Sorry we are late. Derek was driving way too slow.”, she complained and rolled her eyes dramatically while she came up to me and hugged me carefully, trying not to hurt me.

“I will miss you.”, she whined, and I hugged her tighter even though I was crushing my ribs. “I will miss you too!”, I responded, and my eyes started burning with tears that I tried to blink back. Derek harrumphed behind us.

“You guys know that you will see each other again in like 3 weeks, right?”, he asked amused, his eyebrows raised. Celia snorted: “So what?” and I laughed, letting her go. “He is right. I will be fine.” 

Reluctantly Celia let go off me.

“If Damien should pull anything weird off, kick his ass. Promise?”, she asked, and I nodded, and now I was the one rolling my eyes.