Chapter 12- Stuck In Braselton

• Dedicated to My Beautiful Penguins

“What the hell?” Tristan exclaimed, dragging a hand through his hair.

I smiled smugly. “You kissed me back!” That had to mean something!

“Yeah, that’s because I wasn’t expecting it! What is wrong with you, Riley?” He ranted, heading back towards the shore. I followed him, tying my hair into a bun as I did so.

I caught up to him easily and asked, “Why are you so mad about it? It seemed like you were enjoying it just as much as I was.”

“I already told you; I can’t be with you. Even if I did want to, and I’m not saying I do, we can’t be together. It would never work,” He said as we reached the towels. He grabbed one and dried himself off so I did the same, working around my wet clothing.

“Why can’t it work? We can figure it out; we’ll make it work. I feel like we’ve had this argument before,” I grumbled.

Tristan sighed and said, “That’s because we have had this argument before. You’re too damn stubborn to accept that I don’t want to be with you.”

“Do you want to know why I’m so stubborn about it? Fine, it’s because I can tell that you’re lying. No matter what you say, I can see it in your eyes. You want me just as much as I want you, but you won’t admit it,” I snapped, certain I was correct. He wouldn’t have kissed me back if really didn’t like me.

He scowled and stepped closer to me, about to reply, when a small scream made him stop. Suddenly, a little girl was running towards us, screaming, “No! Don’t eat her!”

“I’m so sorry,” Her mother called to us, chasing the girl. But the kid was faster and reached me, wrapping her arms around my leg.

She had real tears in her eyes as she said, “You were eating her when you were swimming, but she got away! So don’t eat her, it’s not nice.” She seemed to be lecturing Tristan, making me giggle. He just stared at her with shock and disbelief.

“I’m sorry,” The mom apologized again. “Cassie, he wasn’t eating her. They were kissing; she’s perfectly safe.”

Cassie looked up at me for affirmation, and I nodded. “It’s true. Tristan would never eat me. You want to know why?”

She stared at me with wide eyes. “Why?”

“Because he’s as gentle as a kitten,” I said matter-of-factly. Cassie grinned and let go of my leg, walking over to Tristan.

She held out her hand. “I’m Cassie; sorry I thought you were trying to eat her.”

“It’s okay; I get it a lot,” He replied, shaking her hand. I smiled as I watched them. Cassie then ran back to her mom.

Her mom smiled apologetically at us, “I’m still so sorry about her. She’s just so curious and her brother let her watch a horror movie last night.”

“We don’t care. I was just like her when I was a kid,” I assured her. She smiled at me and pulled Cassie back to their towels.

Tristan scoffed, “How come I can imagine that so well?”

“Shut up,” I laughed, “You’re just jealous.”

Tristan rolled his eyes, “Sure, whatever.”

“Come on, let’s get lunch. I’m hungry,” I told him. I found my wallet and pulled on my shoes, filling them with sand from my feet.

He nodded. “My wallet’s in your car.”

“I’ll pay,” I shrugged. “I dragged you all the way out here and kissed you ‘against your will’, the least I can do is pay for lunch.”