7.

((Here's where it gets angsty so buckle up kiddos))

I hadn't wanted to go back to that damned castle. I had wanted to stay there wrapped in Mateos arms forever and always but eventually I had to leave. Pressing my lips to his one last time before I headed back.

I went up to my room. Curling up on my bed in my cloak which smelled like Mateo. Like pine, smoke and safety.

I had hardly realized I'd fallen asleep before someone was shaking me awake.

"Sebastian" a cold voice broke through my dreams and I woke up, frowning when it was just Reginald, one of fathers lackeys.

"What do you want" I grumbled, pulling my cloak over myself more and Reginald seemed smug.

"Come to the throne room...there's something you need to see"

I raised an eyebrow but got up, following Reginald out and down to the throne room only to gasp.

Mateo was on the floor. Clothes bloody and torn. His hair was wild and his teeth dripped with bloody drool but what scared me the most were his eyes.

No longer emerald green or even a soft amber yellow. They were instead a blazing red, his teeth dangerously lengthened and claws extended from where he was being forced to kneel.

"Mateo?!" I cried and his head shot up to stare at me, his face softening before a guard slapped him and Mateo snarled, snapping at the guard but the chains around his neck and wrists stopped him.

I ran down quickly only to be grabbed by my father, his eyes staring coldly down at me,

"What do you think Sebastian?"

I whimpered,

"Take a good look...this is the man you decided to give your body and love too? It's a monster" My father snapped and I looked at Mateo who was growling at my father until he saw me. Then, he shrunk in on himself and I could feel tears brim my eyes,

"Please-Father, he wouldn't hurt me! He's good and kind and-"

Valentine let out a harsh laugh, "Good and kind?! Him!? He's just a mangy cur...he was using you Sebastian, he's a monster!"

My head snapped around to stare at my father. I remembered how he had treated me compared to Mateo. I remembered Mateo showing me nothing but respect, love and kindness and expecting nothing in return and I hissed at Valentine,

"He's not the monster here Valentine, you are!"

Valentine looked shocked and I knew why. I was never one to stand up to him but as soon as the shocked look came, it faded away to rage.

His head snapped over to a guard, "bring this mutt to the dungeon, we can decide what to do with it then"

"No!" I screamed but the guards didn't listen to me, instead grabbing hold of Mateo who thrashed and snapped. Knowing it would only make it harder for him, I sobbed out,

"Mateo don't! Please don't, just...just go with them please!"

Mateo looked at me, his face softening once more and the guards dragged him off.

I crumbled to the floor, tears falling down my cheeks as I watched Mateo be dragged away and Valentine looked down at me, asking coldly,

"Was that kiss worth his life Sebastian?"

I couldn't answer. I heard Valentine mutter about how pathetic I was but I didn't give a response. Valentine walking away and all I could do was cry. Cry where no one could hear me and no one cared, covered in the cloak that smelled of my lover.