11.

*Sebastians POV*

I followed Dennis and Owen around the site. Looking around, it was so much different than any vampire village I'd ever been in.

It was...really nice.

Around dinner time, Dennis took me to his and Owens little cabin near the main one. I sat at the table, picking my nails while Owen made some sort of sweet smelling stew that reminded me of Mateo.

"So..." Owen said, looking over at me, "...you love a Merrick?"

I nodded, "yes...I understand they're feral but...he's so kind and gentle with me"

Owen shrugged, "You're his rock, he'd rather die than harm you"

I nodded, "So Mateo told me"

Owen quickly changed the subject which I was grateful for, my heart had started hurting. Dennis instead telling me of antics that Owen got into with his cousin Colton as pups, stories that made me laugh.

The stew was rather nice. Owen told me that it was wild game that the hunters had caught.

"Hunters?" I asked,

"Every wolf has a job" Owen explained, "hunters, gatherers, bakers, carers...and more of course"

"What's your job?" I asked,

"Sit around and look pretty" Owen said, batting his eyelashes and Dennis swatted his arm.

"Owens job is as head of guard" Dennis said, "shocking I know"

I smiled. I had thought Owen to be a brute but he was anything but. He was a kind man who made Dennis smile and looked at him like he was the moon.

After dinner, I headed back to the head house and a wolf lead me to my room. Thanking them, I sat on the bed and sighed softly.

I pulled Mateo's cloak over myself more, inhaling deeply. Tears pricked my eyes and I laid down, curling up and staring outside until I fell asleep, hoping Mateo was still okay.