Dear Simon,

Dear Simon,

Do you remember the first time we met? It was under Mrs. Obinna's tree — the one everyone referred to as the 'tree of Eden', where love happens. It was a metaphor as true as its name.

Do you remember?

Of course you do. It was beyond phenomenal to have been forgotten. We got into trouble that day and was chased by Mrs. Obinna's malnourished dog.

Simon, do you remember the first thing you said that day?

It was evening. I had just thrown one of my usual tantrums and ran away from home, and was poking a branch with a log of wood I found on the ground. The first words you said as you approached me from behind were: "That's not nice."

I had screamed my lungs out, dropped the log of wood and ran like hell. Your voice had been terrifyingly deep, that I thought I had somehow made it to heaven or you were even the ghost everyone talked about. You do remember the ghost story people made up – the one you didn't believe? I used to beat my chest and say it was just a fallacy. But on that day, you had me out of my skin.

While running, I finally decided to at least give the supposed ghost a quick glance and almost stumbled when I saw it was just a boy, who looked shocked with eyes as large as saucers.

Simon, do you remember how mad I was when I stomped back to you, and how calm you were? It was later I realized you were naturally shy and not arrogant. It was later I realized that that boy, who was only eighteen and had a deep, bass tone was going to be my soulmate.

Everyone saw the Tree of Eden as a dump site for dung; a place to make love or a place to simply enjoy the gift it produced. But not you Simon.

Simon, do you remember what you called that tree? Life. You called it Life. You said it feels just like we do. You said it bleeds too, especially when degraded and tortured.

Simon, do you remember how much I had teased and laughed at you when you said those words? I'm sure you do. You wore a frown for days and completely ignored me when we crossed paths again. It was later, as I got to know you after a few more unexpected meets, did I see what you saw; did I also feel what you felt for Life.

Life is beautiful, yet we make it seem ugly. It wants to heal, yet we hurt it. It wanted to give willingly, but we forcefully took from it with no remorse.

Simon, do you remember when Mrs. Obinna decided to chop Life down, and we cried, protested and marched against it? Do you remember how we rallied the whole town to save Life?

I remember very well. Seated here, alone, under Life, reminiscing about those times, I realize just how much I remember. And I realize how much you thought me about Life itself, than about Life, the tree.

Simon, I remember. And it's not nice that I do.

~~~

A short story that was inspired by the picture above in the media slot. The picture above is by my little sis dichiamaka🤗

If you can't READ it, LISTEN to it. The audio is on my Instagram page (amberdorn_writes). Link on my bio🤓