Going Out With a Bang

Start from the beginning

"So what were your thoughts the first time we came in here?" Peter asked.

"How lucky the lot of you were to have me as your roommate."

They all laughed and Sirius yelled, "Bloody little shit indeed, you were!!!"

"But you were right," allowed Remus, and they stopped laughing. He nodded sincerely, "We were lucky to have you as our roommate."

"I was luckier to have you lot as mine," James said.

"I hope whoever get this room next year is half as lucky as we were," Peter said.

"Hear, hear!" announced Sirius.

They stood for a moment longer, simply staring at the emptiness of it, and feeling the weight of their final departure on their shoulders.

Finally, they backed out of the room and James pulled shut the door. Sirius repaired the scratches on the outside that declared it the Marauders dormitory, and just like that, it was good as new... as though they'd never been there at all.

On the way down to the grand ceremonies on the grounds, the Marauders hunted down Peeves to say goodbye and to remind him of his duties in the festivities. "Remember to wait for our signal, Peeves! Don't do anything until you hear the signal."

"Ohh Peevesy will wait for the signal, for sure he will!" Peeves did somersaults in the air before them, then blew a fat raspberry in their faces.

"We'll miss you Peeves," Sirius said.

Peeves hung there upside down and, for the first time ever, quiet.

"Thanks for everything," James said.

Peeves stuck out his tongue, "Peevesey loves to make the noise and chaos!"

"And you did well indeed!" Sirius answered. "Thanks for all your distractions and hauntings, old friend! Do continue to piss of Mr. Filch for us, hey?"

"Consider it my duty!!!" Peeves saluted, and he hung there in the air, watching as they walked away.

Everyone was gathered out on the grounds by the lake. Students clustered higher on the hill, and the staff closer to the shore, where Hagrid stood with a dozen little boats moored. He was wiping his eyes with a bedsheet sized handkerchief and when he blew his nose it was like a foghorn sounding.

Dumbledore's voice was magically amplified, and it echoed over the grounds. "Students and staff of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - I give to you, our graduating class of Witches and Wizards, 1978." He smiled, clapping politely as the line of Seventh Years walked down the hill towards Dumbledore, their long black school robes swishing about their ankles.

McGonagall let out a wheeze of sadness that popped into a choking laugh as Sirius walked by, as stoic and straightfaced as could be, his Gryffindor tie wrapped around his head and trailing over his shoulders, robes opened to reveal his safety pinned jeans and hot pink If Lost Please Return to Remus Lupin t-shirt. He grinned and waved at her, and she wiped her eyes with her handkerchief.

(Later on, she would go to her office and find a suit of armor, loudly singing Cmon Minnie light my fire over and over again.)

The seventh year students lined up behind Dumbledore, shoulder to shoulder. James and Lily's fingertips were entwined at their sides.

Dumbledore turned to them and with a flick of his wand, there appeared before them on a small stool, the Sorting Hat. The Hat's wide brim opened, and recited loudly:

"For seven years we've watched you grow -
And now you know all that you need to know!
There's no more studies, no more books and tests
But this is not a time for you to rest!
Continue on your lives so long
And find the places where you belong.
Go into the world and become who you were meant to be,
No longer sorted into houses by the likes of me!
Be brave and strong and smart as you live
And show the world what you have to give.
We will always remember you with joy and pride
And be here for you if you ever need a helping guide!
We cannot wait to see what you will go and do -
Hogwarts School has been enriched by you!
For seven years we've watched you grow -
But now you're done, and it is time to go!"