Heirs to the Marauderhood

Sirius was leaning against the wall in the corridor by the Fat Lady, lazily picking at his teeth with his little finger, his wand shoved through the high bun he'd set his hair into at the top of his head. The Fat Lady was eyeing him suspiciously, her round mouth set into a pucker of disapproval as she tried desperately to see around the edge of her frame. "What are you doing?" she demanded.

"Waiting," he replied, mouthful of finger. He drew his finger out and inspected what he'd dug up, then flicked it off to the rug. 

The Fat Lady's eyes followed the crud then she snapped, "Are you going in the common room or not?"

"Not," Sirius answered.

She grunted in further disapproval and crossed her arms.

There was a commotion at the end of the hall and Sirius stood up straighter, a grin spreading across his face, his muscles tensing up in preparation... Then 'round the corner came James and Lily, laughing quietly to one another, and talking in low voices. James never saw it coming as Sirius launched himself down the corridor and directly onto his best mate, flattening him to the carpet. James let out an oomph as he struck the floor, Sirius sprawled over him, great wet kisses smacking upon his cheeks.

"Bloody hell!" James shouted, catching Sirius by the forehead and pushing him off. "You dog. You ruddy dog. Get the hell off'a me."

Sirius laughed uproariously and leaped to his feet.

"Really," Lily snuffed.

Sirius looked at her quizzically as James got up and fixed his glasses. "I'm sorry Lillith Judith Evans," he said, "That wasn't very fair of me." He puckered his lips and started at her, but she drew her wand.

"Impedimentia," she said briskly, and Sirius stopped dead in his tracks. Lily grinned at him as he remained stuck in place.

James smirked, "Good one Evans."

It took a full minute for Sirius to regain his motion, and when he did he tripped over himself and nearly fell down. He looked up at Lily as he caught his balance, a smirk twisting his face. "Oh, not very friendly!" he shook his head, "I shall save all of my pent up emotions for my Prongsy then."

"Good," Lily replied, "I don't need you slobbering all over me." But she was smiling even as she said it.

James looked about, "You been hanging about here all day?"

"Yes," sang the Fat Lady.

Sirius rolled his eyes at her, "Only if you define all day as about ten minutes. I - I saw you coming." He looked at James, eyes sparkling.

"You saw us coming?" James asked.

Lily's smile was already crawling upon her face as she realized what Sirius was getting at.

Sirius reached into his back pocket, "Indeed." He tugged out the Marauders Map, slapping it into James's hands.

James let out a splutter, "What! How - Did you lot get into Filch's office while we were away?!"

Sirius answered, "No it came back in the owl post!" He looked at Lily.

Lily crossed her arms, "Well you idiots could've had it ages ago, except apparently none of you study anymore - not even Remus!"

"What?" James looked 'round at her, his hands holding onto the map tightly.

"I've had it since Remus's birthday," she replied, "When you lot went off to the Shack and left me behind. I went and got the key to the drawer Filch put it in from the Bloody Baron and I snuck off and got the ruddy thing myself. Left it on Remus's desk, but apparently none of you lot give a damn about passing your NEWTs." She rolled her eyes.