Going Out With a Bang

The seventh year students were up early the next morning, a crowd of them in the Great Hall, eating their last Hogwarts breakfasts. Others were off taking last walks about the grounds in the rising sun. Emmaline Vance and Marlene MacKinnon were spotted going to bid the Library farewell.

The Marauders were mysteriously absent from all the activities.

Lily made her way downstairs alone, several people stopped her to ask after James and the other boys, but Lily simply shrugged. She went through the Entrance Hall and into the dungeons, knocking on Professor Slughorn's office door. When he opened it, he looked most uncomfortable, clutching his goldfish bowl with white knuckled fingers, his eyes red.

"Just was having a nice talk with Francis," he said in a dizzy sort of  tone. "I didn't expect any visitors today."

Lily smiled, and bent to look at Frances. "He's a lovely fish. I'm very glad you liked him."

"A damn good example of transfiguration, indeed, my dear! And a masterfully formed goldfish indeed!"

"Thank you Professor." Lily paused, then, "I just wanted to pop by today and thank you for --"

'"Don't mention it, don't even mention it!" interrupted Slughorn. His voice was funny and higher than usual. He put a hand on her shoulder. "Miss. Evans, I do wish you'd been in Slytherin! You are among the most talented students that I have ever taught. It was a great pleasure knowing you and teaching you. You will do great things in your time, and I do hope that we can keep in touch." Slughorn smiled warmly.

"Of course, Professor," she said, and she shook his hand.

Slughorn smiled crookedly for a moment, then cleared his throat, "Yes well, I've not got all day, I've things to do, you understand!" He bustled hurriedly toward his desk, looking flustered and red about his neck.

Lily smiled. "Goodbye, Professor."

"Goodbye, Miss Evans."

The dormitory looked so empty without their personal touches on the walls. The beds were made, their trunks gone, the desks cleaned out and the shelves empty. The four Marauders stood by the door, looking around in silence.

James was the one who remembered to disappear the list of rules on the back of the door.

Remus ran a hand down the poster of Sirius's mostly unused bed and his throat felt very tight with emotion. He glanced at the others. "Thank you lot for all the good that's happened in this room. I was so scared the first time we walked in here, scared you wouldn't like me and I'd be just the weird sick kid you had to share a dorm with."

"I was scared, too, the first time we came in here," Sirius remembered. "I'd just been sorted Gryffindor, the first Black not in Slytherin! I was sure my parents were going to kill me." He sighed nostalgically, "And then that summer they did try at it."

"And I ended up with a brother," James laughed.

"I was scared too," Peter said.

"Were you, Pete?" James asked.

"Yes!" Peter squeaked, "You were all so very friendly already. I hadn't met you on the train like you three had and I felt like you might not let me be part of the group. I was scared of being left out."

James smiled, "Well what would the Marauders have been without a Wormtail?"

Peter grinned.

"What about you, Prongs?" Remus asked. "What were you scared about?"

"Me?" James guffawed, "I wasn't scared of a bleedin' thing. You remember what an egotistical little shit I was back in first year? It's a wonder I could hold my big head up on my shoulders."