The Plan in Motion

The hardest part of James's plan for the locket would be the waiting game that they had to play in the time leading up to executing the plan - that, and the fact that they never knew when the plan would actually begin until it had. The plan entirely hinged on Voldemort and the actions that the Dark Lord would take to get the locket into his hands.

After holiday, however, James did call a meeting of the Order of the Phoenix and everyone met up in the magical meeting room, gathered about listening to James's plan. Murmurings of how insane James Potter had to be in order to come up with such a nutter idea went about them all, and the members turned to Remus and Emmaline - the smartest two in the lot of them - to confirm that it would work.

"Obviously there are a lot of ifs and buts," Remus said.

"Butts," snickered Sirius, elbowing James, who rolled his eyes.

"I think it'll work, though," Remus said, ignoring Sirius's snickers.

Emmaline nodded, "Yeah, I agree. I think it's incredibly risky but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work."

"And you think the curse will fall to me?" James asked.

Emmaline looked uncomfortable, "I mean, yes, but..."

"I really wish there was a way to stop that," Remus muttered, shaking his head. He looked at Emmaline, "We should've put in an escape clause."

"Yes, I agree," Emmaline replied, "But we didn't want there to be any loopholes, remember..."

"Yeah," Remus sighed.

James said, "So long as it falls to me and not anyone else. I can handle it... I don't want the others getting it. That part is absolutely vital."

Remus nodded, "If you go about it the way we figured then it shouldn't fall to anyone else. Regulus gave it to you before the plan was made, so he won't get the curse for sure, and you're the one giving it over knowing it will end up in Voldemort's hands. So long as you don't offer it to him before he demands it, Peter..."

Peter shivered.

"...then James will get the curse."

James nodded. "And for the rest of you - you all know your jobs. Of course we don't know when everything will move into place, so you've got to be ready. All hours of the day and night."

Everyone looked among each other nervously. If even one piece was out of place... Well, a great deal of trouble could result, as the plan relied on each one of them in some way or another. This was the ultimate game of trust... Everyone had to trust everyone else would do their part.

And so it was that with the plan set in place, James and Sirius snuck out of the castle one night, through the passageway that led out to the Shrieking Shack, and down the streets of Hogsmeade. They made it to the far end of the road, past the Hog's Head pub, and down the path a ways, toward the mountains beyond the village.

When they were out of sight and sound of the village, Sirius reached into his pocket and withdrew his tiny motorbike. "Engorgio," he cast and the bike grew to it's regular size. Sirius took out the helmets from the side bag he'd attached and stuck his own on, handing Remus's to James, who pulled it on over his head. They climbed on board and Sirius said, grinning, "Press those pecs against me, Prongsie, and hold on tight!"

James muttered, "This is why you suggested the motorbike." He leaned forward and hugged onto Sirius.

Sirius grinned, "It wasn't why, but it's a mighty grand perk, you sexy bastard!" And the motorbike roared to life as Sirius kick-started the engine, the body shaking beneath them as they vibrated into the sky, soaring up over the trees, passing a flying thestral as they went, up-up-up into the clouds. They flew south at top speed, soaring over farms and fields, forests and dark towns and cities... All the way to the quiet little town where the Lupin house stood quiet on a hill overlooking a sleepy town.