Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Hours later, I was awakened by the sound of screaming. As I blinked my eyes open, I realized that my headache had never fully subsided. To say that the yelling wasn't helping it would be an understatement. Their voices stabbed through my brain repeatedly, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut and cover my ears to try and block out the sound.

It wasn't helping.

"You hit me!" I heard Ashlyn's unmistakable voice yell.

"That's the point!" came the irritated shout of Logan's little brother, Dalton.

"No, it's a race!" my friend argued back.

"Read the case, Ashlyn!" Dalton snapped at her. "It says Crash. You're supposed to hit each other," he explained, his tone condescending.

"He's right, Ash," David and Michael simultaneously responded.

"No he's –"

"Shut up and accept it, Ash! You're wrong!" I hollered, cutting her off.

There was a beat of dead silence before I heard Rikki say, "I think we woke her up."

"Really now?" I called, rolling my eyes at the group.

Not even a minute later a slender pair of arms were wrapped around me. "I'm so sorry to wake you up! They're just so irritating!" Ashlyn apologized in a rush.

"Its fine, Ash," I said while laughing and returning her hug.

From the sudden atmospheric change in the room, I knew he was there. I didn't even have to look to know that Logan was standing close. So when I did, it didn't take long to locate him. He was leaning against the doorframe, his emerald eyes already trained on me. When our gazes met, he gave me a small smile before turning away from me. Sighing, I refocused on Ashlyn, who I realized had been talking to me. "You haven't heard a word I've said, have you?" she asked, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

"No," I admitted, biting down on my lower lip.

She sighed before shoving my shoulder. "I said, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go kick Dalton's ass at this video game." She got up from the bed and began to walk out of the room. When she reached the door and drew level with Logan, she poked him in the chest to gain his attention. "If you do anything out of line, I'm coming back here to kick your ass for real." And with that she flounced off down the hall.

Logan glared after her before turning back to me. "Your friend gets on my nerves," he stated, pushing off the doorframe and coming farther into the room.

"Sorry," I said in a soft voice, my eyes trailing over him as he continued to make his way to the bed.

At least I could say that whoever controlled mates had been kind to me. Logan wasn't hard to look at. Even though he was wearing a loose t-shirt his defined arms and torso were still evident. As my eyes made their return trip back up, I saw the coy smile on his face.

I was caught.

My face was instantly scarlet. "Like what you see?" he asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Leave me alone," I snapped, my embarrassment still lacing my voice as I threw a pillow at his head.

He easily dodged it. "I don't think I will," he said as he inched closer.