Chapter 31

Chapter 31

The next morning, it took Logan a while to convince himself that all of it was truly happening. As he lay next to Torian, her steady breathing beginning to lull him back into sleep, he couldn't help but feel mystified. After everything the girl had done to fight him off, he had finally broken through her barriers and gotten her to accept the mate claim. He turned his head so that his gaze landed on her delicate face and he smiled. She had slept peacefully all through the night, meaning Xander had made himself scarce in her dreams.

Just the thought of the vampire made Logan's blood boil. After everything he had put Torian through, the leech still had the nerve to claim that he loved her. Someone like him didn't even know what the word love meant. Logan had thought he did once. He had given Xander the benefit of the doubt. He thought he could see the love in his eyes. He thought the vampire was telling them the truth. Then, he had proven them all dead wrong.

Logan ran his fingers idly through Torian's hair, a habit he found he was quickly developing. She had overtaken his world and he couldn't even bring himself to care. He was positive that he would give his life for her, but that was what happened when you found your mate.

Sighing, he carefully disentangled himself from Torian so as not to wake her. Once he was on his feet next to the bed, he raised his arms above his head and stretched. The cracking of his back eased most of the tension in his body and a small smile slipped onto his face. He stepped out into the hallway and shut the door softly behind him. With a slight shake of his head, he made his way to the kitchen where the soft chatter of the combined packs could be heard.

All eyes snapped to him as he stepped into the kitchen. Small smiles of respect were given before they all returned to their previous conversations. He fought the urge to roll his eyes as he walked to where his mother was standing near the stove, cutting what looked to be tomatoes.

"Need any help, Mom?" he asked.

She barely glanced at him as she shook her head. "No thanks, Logan. But you can stay here and talk to me," she said, motioning with the knife to one of the stools at the island counter.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, taking the seat she had indicated.

"How's Torian holding up?" she asked, raising her head to meet his gaze as she continued to mercilessly slice the vegetable in front of her. Eyeing the hand that she held the knife in, Logan let out a deep sigh.

"She's strong," he began, tracing imaginary circles on the countertop. "She's trying to hold it together for everyone else, but she's not allowing herself time to grieve. I want to help her, I just don't know how."

Kenna laid the tomatoes and the knife aside and leaned against the counter. "Logan, that girl is stubborn and headstrong," she stated, placing her chin in her hand. He opened his mouth to protest, but she simply held up a hand to silence him. "I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, it's one of the many good qualities she holds."

"You've always said being stubborn is a quick way to get yourself killed," he pointed out.

His mother rolled her eyes at him, something she rarely did. "It is. But somehow Torian makes it work. Her stubbornness is what causes her to be such a good Alpha. She always puts her pack before herself, haven't you noticed that?" Once he had nodded, she continued. "That's what she's stubborn about. Did you ever notice the only thing she and David . . ." she said his name on a choked whisper. "Ever argued about was the fact that she never considered herself?"

"You're right," he said. Kenna nodded her head in an I-told-you-so kind of fashion. Logan replied by sticking his tongue out at her. "I still don't know how to make her relax so she can recover. For real, not just for everyone else's eyes."