Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I've finally found my mate, I thought to myself, trying to fully comprehend the idea. I had accepted the fact that I would never have a mate years ago. Why was this being thrown on me when I didn't even want it anymore? And why was I allowing myself to take their help? My pack and I should be headed west in hopes of relieving ourselves of our wolves for a while, not following this territorial pack around.

Useless vampires.

A growl bubbled out of my throat as I realized that if it hadn't been for the fight with the newborn, the whole ordeal could have been avoided. "Something wrong, Tor?" David asked, drawing me out of my thoughts.

"No," I lied.

"Torian . . ." he chastised, seeing right through me.

"It's just we shouldn't be doing this," I admitted. "You guys should have just let me heal on my own."

"You would have just made it worse, Tor," Michael said.

"Nuh-uh," I argued.

"You're so immature," he said, barking out a laugh.

"Nuh-uh," I denied again.

"Yeah-huh."

"Whatever," I grumbled, restraining the urge to stick my tongue out at him like a five year old.

"What happened anyway?"

"A newborn." Another growl slipped past my teeth.

Up ahead, I heard Logan's feral snarl. David's head swiveled in that direction, but his attention almost immediately returned to me. "Why didn't you let us stay and help?" he asked.

"I thought it would be something easy. Like a bear," I replied with a shrug.

"Still should have let us help," Ashlyn threw in, a grim tone to her voice.

"Shut up, Ash."

"You wouldn't be injured now would you?" she retorted with a bitter laugh.

"Ashlyn . . ." I warned, trailing off.

"Torian, face it," she snapped, turning to look me dead in the eyes. "If you weren't so stubborn you wouldn't get hurt half as much as you do. Now we've had to accept help from outside our own pack because I'm pretty sure your leg is broken."

Trying to contain the growl of irritation that wanted to spill out, I turned to stare blankly in the opposite direction. "Didn't want his help anyway," I muttered.

"I can hear you, you know," Logan called from his position ahead of us.

"Don't care," I responded, placing my head between Michael's shoulders.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Someone please shut him up before I do," I grumbled.

Ashlyn rolled her eyes as she faced forward. But I had seen the look in her eyes and my whole body tensed. If I knew Ashlyn, she was up to something.

Sure enough, once Logan had torn his gaze away from me she trotted silently past his pack, who all stared at her, and then pounced on Logan. They fell to the ground and he snarled at her. She shook her head and stepped on his muzzle. Slowly wagging her tail, she turned to me. "How's that, Tor?" she asked, a playful edge to her voice.