CHAPTER 32: Jirou's Gamble

(First Person: Jirou Kyoka's point of view.)

Honestly, I wanted Momo's plan to go wrong somehow. I hoped maybe Midoriya would get caught by the guards, or Uraraka accidentally brought Denki to the ground instead of the roof. Sure, I trusted Momo, and sure, I wanted to save my boyfriend but...when I got the huge responsibility of executing the rest of the plan, I felt like (and still feel like) everybody just threw a giant boulder on my shoulders.

(Flashback)

Class 1-A (except Kirishima, Midoriya, and Todoroki), and Camie Utsushimi from Shiketsu High were in the common room that night, discussing how we wanted everything to go down. Somehow, Utsushimi and Momo got close over the past year, which was why Utsushimi didn't hesitate to help us when Momo brought it up. "Anything to help a pal, XOXO" she had texted.

Anyway, there we were, hanging around the common room couches as Momo explained her idea, and everybody agreed without a second thought...well, except for me.

"I can't do it," I said.

Everybody turned their heads towards me, and I ducked down low. I may enjoy rock concerts, but I especially hate being in the spotlight.

"You said... you want me to talk to him?" I whispered, "I...I don't want to. I'm not sure I can...not after seeing him in my bedroom that night."

Sero threw his arms up in exasperation.

"Jirou, you're the only one who he'll actually open up to!" he exclaimed, "I mean, seriously, can you imagine Bakugo talking to that guy? News flash, there won't be any talking, it'll just be a freaking death battle!"

Mina Ashido elbowed Sero in the ribs, and gave me a smile.

"It's okay, sweetie," she said, "We won't force you if you don't want to."

"No," Momo interrupted, "This is the only way."

My best friend hand gripped comfortably on my shoulder. She used to do that a lot ever since Denki betrayed us, but this time, the grip didn't feel sympathetic. It was tight, like she was trying to squeeze some sense into me.

"I'm sorry Jirou, but we need you to do this," she said, "I understand full well why you're frightened, and I am not going to tell you to push those fears aside for the sake of the mission. I want you to use those fears. Remember why we're doing this in the first place. Remember why you miss him so much! . Remember who you dated. We can bring him back!"

Momo and I had a silent staring contest, and nobody else dared to break the tension between us.

Finally, I let out a sigh, and started telling everybody what happened that night when Denki came into my room. Grief boiled up inside me as I spoke. That night was indubitably the worst night of my entire life. "...He told me he loved me," I spoke through tears and hiccups. Just when I was ready to get over Denki's betrayal, just when I was ready to accept the fact that he didn't need me anymore, he kissed me and he had told me he loved me. He loved me? What kind of bullshit answer is that? He was teasing me, he thought breaking my heart was just a game to him.

Just as I was developing hatred for this traitor, just as I was about to accept his moving on, he confessed to me again in that charming, smooth voice of his. It was heartbreaking. As I heard those three words, all my love for him came pouring back in, along with the immense feeling of guilt for loving a villain—a traitor that didn't deserve any warmth. "I love you" made it impossible for me to move on again. I was torn.