CHAPTER 26: Resentment

.......................................................

"Hey. Hey, Bakugo! Open your eyes!" Todoroki persisted urgently as he kneeled beside the injured blond. When he came back, he saw Bakugo's body lying there, but no sign of Kaminari. Todoroki pressed his ear against Bakugo's chest. He could hear faint beats on his heart.

He's still breathing, thank goodness.

Suddenly, something struck Todoroki. Why was Bakugo still alive? In this state, Kaminari should have been able to kill him in a jiffy... yet he left him here, the exact location where Todoroki could find him.

Todoroki backed away slightly, suspicious.

Is this a trap?

He looked around, but caught no sign of anybody else. He looked back down at Bakugo, and another possibility entered his mind.

No...what if...what if Kaminari just didn't have the courage...?

"H-Half-and-Half...?" said a raspy voice.

Todoroki gasped. 

The blond slowly raised his eyelids. His pupils made him look weak and lifeless.

"Bakugo, what happened? Where's Kaminari?" asked Todoroki with concern, "Wait, no, actually don't answer that. You're hurt."

Bakugo only gave a weak grunt. He tried to get up.

"You won't be able to sit up. Not with those injuries," said Todoroki, "I'm so sorry I left you behind, Bakugo. You did everything you could. I'm going to get you to a hospital, and I'll tell you everything when you recover—"

Suddenly, he felt a tug at his shirt collar. Bakugo's fist clenched feebly onto Todoroki's shirt, as he used it to try to sit back up. But his body kept pulling him down.

"Bakugo—" Todoroki began.

"D-Don't...don't worry 'bout m-me..." he managed to say, "L-Leave me here..."

"You know I can't do that," said Todoroki sympathetically.

"N-No...." the blond persisted, "Listen...to me...th-that bastard's quirk...the more he uses it...the less control...he has o-over his body..." 

Todoroki gasped. So he managed to find out Kaminari's quirk...

"Bakugo, stop it," Todoroki insisted, "You're going to wear yourself out."

Bakugo started to cough.

"I r-refuse to lose...to a traitor...like him," he said, "Shit. I'm l-leaving this to...you, Icy Hot.."

"Bakugo, I can't..." Todoroki began.

The blond's eyes widened just a little, and he raised his finger high and pointed behind Todoroki.

"B-Behind you..."

Todoroki whipped his head around and came face to face with...Kaminari Denki. Todoroki gasped and stood up almost immediately.

I didn't even sense him coming! Did he mask his presence?

The teen looked pretty beaten up himself, his costume had a couple of dirt marks here and there, and there were some visible battle bruises on his skin. His hair was completely out of place compared to the last time Todoroki saw him. More importantly, he noticed that Kaminari had ripped a strip of fabric off his sleeve and used them as a blindfold for his eyes. He was now...blind? 

Holy shit...what did Bakugo do? thought Todoroki, slightly impressed.

Despite the sudden show-up, Todoroki knew he couldn't let it get to him. This was exactly what he came for. He took a deep breath.