CHAPTER 28: His Greatest Weakness

I told you I was dangerous. I told you, didn't I? Chapter 13: A Pleasant Surprise, did my research. I told you, I could kill whoever I wanted? I told you I was dangerous. Why can't you understand that? Why can't they understand that?

.....

Why can't I understand that?

....

This isn't what I wanted.

Todoroki closed his eyes, embracing for impact. It's over. Sorry, Bakugo. It's over.

Until...

THUNK.

...Todoroki bit back a scream, expecting a burning ache on his chest, expecting all life to abandon him at that very second...

But he felt nothing. No pain, no burn, no urge to scream.

Slowly, he lifted his eyelids...

He was face to face with the tip of the knife, drenched in dark red blood. Slowly, Todoroki looked up, and gasped.

"Wh-Why..."

Dabi stood in front of Todoroki defensively, Kaminari's knife deep inside his chest.

The black-haired teen groaned painfully, while Kaminari leapt back immediately. He stared down at his hands, which were full of Dabi's blood. What did I...?  Time stopped for a split second, all three stuck in place, attempting to process the event that had just occurred before them. Despite his unease, Todoroki was the one to break the silence:

"Why did you do that?" he yelled at Dabi, "Why did you protect me? I was fine by myself!" No more...

Dabi chuckled and got up on two feet.

No more... Todoroki thought. Flashbacks ran through his mind. Please. I don't want to see...anyone else getting hurt...

Kaminari's expression was fearful and nervous. Dabi opened his mouth and coughed out a mouthful of blood.

"Wh-What's the m-matter, Thunderstroke," he said, "Aw...S-Sad you...c-couldn't...kill another c-classmate? L-Looks like...you f-failed your m-mission..." He tried to laugh, but the only thing that came out of his mouth was blood. Kaminari's eyes widened, and he was shaking all over. When Dabi was about to collapse, Todoroki dropped Bakugo and held him up.

"You're okay," said Todoroki, "You're okay, you're okay, you're okay." Please be okay.

Keeping his eyes fixed on Kaminari, Dabi slowly grabbed hold of the knife inside his chest.

"M-More than...okay..." he tried taking the knife out of his chest, "Just a s-scratch..." When the knife was fully out, he let out a painful groan, "Ahhhh! Nggggh."

"N-No..." said Kaminari, "I didn't mean to...I didn't want to..." His face was painted with regret and fear, as he backed away slowly, horrified by the sight of what he had done. Dabi met his eyes and started to chuckle.

"Ha, l-look who's...scared now," he said, "Yeah, go back home. G-Go back to the hideout, where Shigaraki and everyone will see what you d-did to your comrade. Your c-career with us is over, K-Kaminari Denki. Finally n-no more of your..." he groaned in pain, and Todoroki tried to get him to sit down, but he kept persisting.

"Touya..." Kaminari said with anxiety, "Touya, I didn't want to..."

"I told you not to call me that!" Dabi spat, "G-Get out here, Thunderstroke! Run away, f-for that's all you can do with the strength you have left!"