starting now

Please Note: Everything in italics are internalized thoughts for Y/N

♧⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞♧

The morning had arrived. You threw on some high-waisted, baggy cargo pants and a cropped tank top. (think Winry Rockbell mechanic outfit from FMAB) The rules of the exam stated you could bring one weapon/ object of your choosing, so you brought your trusted katana.

It was originally your mothers, the only thing she left for you. It was a beautifully crafted sword, with an Edo-period design on the handle that reminded you of porcelain. There were small engravings of a familiar shape all over the blade of the sword, for a reason you had yet to discover.

You hurried over to the main gate to meet up with Killua, and with that, you set foot into a new world.

⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝ fast forward a little bit  ⌜⌞⌝⌟⌜⌞⌝

After 2 days worth of traveling, you and Killua had finally arrived at the site of the 287th Hunter Exam. You and Killua had agreed to pretend to have no knowledge of the other, so he went into the exam an hour before you did to avoid any suspicion. When you walked in, you received your badge number, 116.

After carefully observing your surrounding, you leaned back against a wall and slid down to a sitting position.

What a group of weirdos, everyone here looks so out of place.

You watched as a blonde-haired boy, about your age, #404, came over and sat about 10 feet to your left.

He seems interesting. You thought to yourself, maybe I should try talking to him, making a friend wouldn't hurt.

"Hey you, I like your dress" you called out to him.

"It's a tabard, and I don't really care what you think about it," he said without looking at you.

Jeez, that was cold. I don't really know what I was expecting, but it wasn't a response like THAT.  "I wasn't making a joke you know. I like the design, I think it's cool" you said back.

"Really?" He said. A small smile crept onto his lips, but he immediately returned to his stoic expression after realizing it. I guess maybe I'm the first to compliment him, you thought to yourself.

You scooted a little closer to him. He was actually facing you now. He's actually, kind of, good looking. His personality is pretty awful though.  "What's your name? I'm Y/N."

"I'm Kurapika, what do you care?" he said coldly, again.

"What do you care?" What's with this kid... I'm trying to be friendly and this is what I get?

"Oh, um, I don't know? I just thought it might be nice to get to know some people here. Clearly you don't have the same intentions..." you mumbled.

"I have already made acquaintances with a few people, I don't need any more. I appreciate the kind gesture, but for all I know you could be trying to learn my weaknesses," he said, emotionlessly.

You scoffed. "Learn your weaknesses? What kind of talk is that? I was just trying to be friendly, I'm not a bad person or any-"

"KURAPIKA!" A young boy, Killua's age, shouted as he ran over towards the expressionless blonde.

He was accompanied by an older looking man. Maybe in his 20s or early 30s, you couldn't tell.

"Who's this?" The young boy asked. He turned to you, "I'm Gon, let's be friends, ok?"

"Of course," you said with a smile, "I'm glad to see some people here are willing to be friendly..."

Kurapika scowled at you. You smiled back at him out of spite.

"Oi, Kurapika," The older man said, "Who is this girl? She's very pretty! ... I'm Leorio by the way."

Your cheeks turned rosy as you introduced yourself to the two new faces. You looked over to see a slightly angry Kurapika.

What's he getting all worked up about? He's the one who would barely look me in the eyes...

"Calm down old man," he said through clenched teeth. "I don't know her, and I don't care to get to know her." 

"Ouch," teasingly,  "That kinda hurts my feelings," you said with a pouty face.

"Besides, she's probably too young for you anyway," he blurted out.

"HEY! I already told you, I'm a teenager just like you!" the old man yelled.

You all laughed. It feels pretty nice to laugh like this, even if they're still strangers to me.

You looked back to see where Killua was. Your eyes met his, he had been silently observing, smiling at the sight of you laughing. You subtly gestured for him to come over to your little group, and returned to laughing with Gon, Leorio, and the apathetic Kurapika.

My life starts now.