49: That's It

Beginne am Anfang

"Right. So, good luck with... this." I slapped a palm on his arm and walked across the yard. "Guess we know what you're doing until we graduate."

"Can't wait." His grumbles widened my smile. This was priceless. Fucking priceless. I couldn't have written a -

"You're helping too, Ellie!" Dad called.

Hard pass.

The only help I had involved a sledgehammer and smaller pieces of metal. "Too bad," I said with false disappointment over my shoulder. "I already have a job. But Jake's free on Saturdays now that you won't let him go to parties." Hopefully, he wouldn't want to attend anymore after I talked to him, but the annoyance on Jake's face begged to be teased.

Dad grinned. "It'll end up being yours when we're done!"

I stopped in my tracks at his confident tone. Nope. Nope. Absolutely nope. Not that I cared what a car looked like, but I didn't trust that it wasn't an unreliable deathtrap. Jake and Dad probably wouldn't finish before I graduated college, but I locked eyes with Mom. "Mom."

"I can't." She sighed and linked elbows with me. "I can't on this one. He called me after the tow truck had picked it up. He's too excited."

"Mom," a whine slipped into my voice. "There's no way that would be a dependable car."

"Trust me." Her arm squeezed my elbow. "It'll lose its appeal in a month. Now, I need to call the HOA since I can't imagine they'll be thrilled with this."

She was right. The Homeowners Association was not on board with Dad's 'new addition' propped up on cement cinder blocks for the neighborhood's enjoyment. They gave him a day to move it into the garage, so Jake texted the offensive line to come over, and they carried it. Mom and I hoped they dropped and rendered the whole thing unrepairable, but they didn't. I went inside when Dad and Mom 'discussed' how he had to clean out and remove enough of his old junk so Jake could maneuver around the garage.

Dad's attempts to keep Jake at home more hadn't gone unnoticed by their golden boy. "Unbelievable," he groaned from my door, where he leaned on the frame with crossed arms.

Why was he standing there unfazed? Did he think I hadn't forgotten his fist in Logan's face? "Move," I mumbled, brushed past him, and stomped into the bathroom.

"Ellie-" I cut him off with a slam of the door and a huff. With my fists at my sides, I exhaled at the red, flustered version of my face glaring at me in the mirror.

Anger chewed at me from the inside like acid while I showered and finished my homework. I reached over and grabbed my phone. Hopefully, this wasn't overstepping.

Me: Sorry for my brother's existence.

L: Are you worried about me baby?

"I didn't even get to ask, you stinker." I smiled at my phone and typed yes, but he beat me.

L: My handsome face appreciates the concern, but don't apologize for Jake.

I set down my phone with a sigh. Logan was right. Jake needed to own up to his asshattery behavior. Not speaking to Jake would prevent me from sleeping, so I sat with the corners of my mouth pinched into my cheeks. He needed to know how much I disapproved of his anger clouding his judgment. Why had he stupidly punched Logan before asking why he was there? I knocked on his door before I could second-guess it. "Are you calm enough to talk sensibly? And decently dressed?"

"Come in." Jake lay on his bed, shirtless so I picked up a nearby shirt and chucked it at his head. He slipped it on with a grin and reclined with his hands cupped behind his head, but his eyes darkened at my locked legs and hands squeezing my elbows. "Shit, Ellie, again with the silent treatment? Is this about earlier? Sorry for losing my cool. Are you okay?"