Suddenly, a tall redhead came to lean against the wall beside Harry. She was wearing a long, flowing dress adorned with white flowers. The dress was a deep emerald, and when Harry glanced up, he noted that the dress accentuated the green hues in her eyes. Her hair was pulled back into a loose, braided bun, and there was a matching white flower pinned to it. It was then that Harry recalled what a gorgeous woman his mother had been.

"Enjoying yourself?" she asked him, only Harry knew she couldn't possibly be talking to him. He wasn't really there. His eyes flitted to the side and he realized that she was actually talking to Sirius, who Harry hadn't noticed was standing right beside him.

"Evans," he greeted coolly, ignoring her question. "How's Prongs? You haven't left him all by his lonesome, have you?"

"He's fine. He's getting us some drinks," she commented lightheartedly.

"How lovely," Sirius drawled sarcastically. "Perhaps you should go join him then," he suggested, drawing a flash out of his suit jacket and taking a swig.

"Why do you hate me?" she came right out and asked. Harry had a feeling his mother wasn't one to beat around the bush.

"Because James would do anything for you," Sirius replied, shrugging. "He's in love with you."

"He's not in love with me," she brushed off his comment and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Yes," Sirius looked her dead in the eye. "He is. Has been for years." She rolled her eyes, still not believing him.

"Why would that make you hate me?" she questioned, going along with the idea. Sirius took another sip from his flask and screwed the cap back on before answering.

"Because you don't feel the same," he turned to Lily, his gaze intense. There was no anger to his face, but there was a fierceness there, a protectiveness that Harry hadn't seen before. "He would pluck the sun from the sky if it'd make you smile, and you can hardly stand him. You'll only end up hurting him."

"Me?" She scoffed incredulously. "James isn't fragile, Black, I'm not going to break him."

"I wouldn't be so sure." Sirius turned away from her, watching the crowd. "You might not believe it, but James isn't the arrogant prick you think he is. He loves more than anyone I know. And you mean the world to him, Merlin knows why. If anyone could break him, it'd be you."

"You're awfully protective of him," Lily commented curiously.

"He's my brother. He saved me when no one else could. He's always been there for me, even when I screw up. So it's only right that I'm there for him."

Lily watched Sirius for a moment, neither of them speaking. She cleared her throat and stood up straight, no longer leaning against the wall.

"So you know," she glanced at Sirius. "I like James. A lot," she grimaced as if it hurt to admit this. "More than you can know. And I'd never try to hurt him or use his... affections to my advantage." Sirius blinked back, determining if he trusted her or not.

"Good." He nodded and started looking at the crowd again.

"Don't tell him I said any of that," Lily blurted suddenly.

"Of course not," Sirius laughed. "I love the bloke, but we don't need to give him any more of an ego than he already has." Lily giggled along with him.

"It's sweet," she said a moment later, smiling. "How you care about your friends so much."

"I'd do anything for them. They're the most important people in my life. They've never let me down."