Metal, the Potions Cupboard, and something else

Chapter Twenty

After a grueling Quidditch practice on Wednesday afternoon, Harry made his way down to the Potions classroom for detention. The door was locked once he got there, as he expected, so he sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. He knew his detention didn't start for another hour, but after the day he'd had, he needed some time to himself.

The day started off just fine: he was a tad rushed in getting ready for breakfast since he woke up slightly late, but other than that, his morning was entirely normal. The trouble started when he found himself cornered by two sixth year Hufflepuffs after breakfast. Despite the number of times it had already happened that term, Harry still couldn't get used to the constant berating of smitten girls asking him out. These particular girls, one blonde and one brunette, had been especially persistent, until Ron actually had to rescue Harry from their advances. From there, his day only got worse.

In Potions, he was greeted by a very grumpy Ernie.

"Morning," he said, waving at the blonde Hufflepuff. Ernie merely grunted in response, barely sparing Harry a glance. "You alright?"

"Perfectly alright," he responded harshly. Clearly, he was not alright. "Why wouldn't I be? Everything's just perfect."

"Er... okay?" Harry sat down, eyeing Ernie cautiously.

"After all," he spoke again, plastering a smile on his face. "I have the honor to speak with the great Harry Potter. Who could possibly resist you?"

"What?" Now Harry was completely lost. The last time he checked, him and Ernie were friends. "Have I done something?"

"No, nothing at all." Ernie huffed and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Ernie?" Harry pressed, leaning across the table.

"It's just..." he squeezed his eyes shut, sighing. "Do you have to have all the girls? I mean, can't you just leave some for the rest of us?"

"I'm sorry?" Harry furrowed his brows.

"Briana Fernsby, for instance?" Ernie mumbled towards the table.

"Who?"

"Briana Fernsby. Curly brown hair. Hufflepuff. Sixth year. Eyes like the night sky, all dark and sparkly..." he trailed off, clearly getting lost in his thoughts. Harry thought for a moment and recalled the two girls from that morning; one of them matched Ernie's description. He cleared his throat to capture Ernie's attention.

"I think I know who you're talking about. What about her?" Harry asked, still unclear as to why Ernie was so upset.

"You think you know her? Merlin Harry, how could you... why are you... why would you date her if you barely know who she is?" Ernie said incredulously. Harry stared, blinking rapidly.

"Ernie, what on Earth are you talking about?"

"I asked her out yesterday, alright?" Ernie whispered fiercely. "And you know what she said?" He paused briefly and Harry wondered whether it was an actual question. Luckily, it seemed to be rhetorical as Ernie continued on a moment later. "She said she would go out with me, if it weren't for the fact that she fancied you."

"And that's my fault, how exactly?" Harry asked, becoming more puzzled by the minute.

"I saw you with her this morning!" Ernie exclaimed, earning the attention of Terry Boot from the table next to them. Ernie lowered his voice and Boot went back to ignoring them. "And it's not your fault, really, it's just... frustrating is all."