"It was so scary seeing you hooked up to machines like that. Your mum said she found you collapsed in the shower, writhing in pain. She begged me to tell her anything I knew, but I didn't and I've felt so damn guilty since it happened." Heather sobbed, "She kept asking me about Xavier, but I didn't tell her. What did he do to you? If he hurt you, I'll kill him."

I sighed deeply, resting my chin on top of her head. I was trying to compose my thoughts before I spoke, but I could feel my own tears welling up. Everything was so difficult right now- I felt like a bad friend, but I really can't tell her the truth... This must be how Xavier felt about telling me.

"Xavier didn't do anything; he actually helped. I was lucky that he came when he did." I finally managed to squeeze out, my voice wobbling.

"I don't trust him, Cameron." Heather looked into my eyes, pulling away from the hug slightly.

"I know you don't, but you trust me, right?" I asked, which she nodded yes to, "Then believe me when I say you can trust him. He's on our side. He told me the whole truth and gave me all the evidence I needed."

"Then what's going on? What's with the fake business, the secrets, the following you?"

"I can't tell you. It's nothing dodgy, though."

"Cameron! I'm literally your best friend- why can't you tell me? Is he trying to isolate you? They told us about this in PSHE- it's a sign of grooming." She rambled, eyes wide with fear.

"Heather, I'm not being groomed! The age of consent is sixteen, so I'm well above it. Besides, he's not trying to exploit me in any way." I sighed, "He's a good guy, honestly."

"You promise he's not taking advantage of you?" She whispered, "No blackmail? Sexual, or otherwise?"

"Nothing like that. He's been nothing but a gentleman. We're taking things slow, going on a date soon. He hasn't even kissed me and he stayed in the guest room last night." I spewed.

"You're staying at his house?" She hissed, eyes wide again.

"Mum kicked me out. She's convinced that he dealt me the drugs that put me in the hospital. Drugs that I didn't do, by the way." I explained, feeling a headache grow out of nowhere.

"She kicked you out again? He didn't do anything to put you in there, right?" She double checked, with suspicious eyes.

"It wasn't his fault." I confirmed, "He was nice enough to offer me a place to stay, though."

"I don't know how I feel about that. Can't you stay with the twins? I'm sure I could sneak you in at night if you want to stay at mine." Heather offered.

"No, it's honestly fine at his. I missed talking to you, though." I cooed teasingly, lightening the atmosphere.

"I mean how could you not?" Heather boasted, "I'm your favourite person on earth. Make sure Xavier knows that, because I'm not having him steal my best friend away."

"He thought you were my girlfriend at the party." I chuckled, whipping out my baccy pouch.

I had made Xavier stop at the petrol station so that I could grab some before school; I was getting pretty sick of straights. I began to roll a cigarette, taking a seat on the fire escape steps now that this conversation had calmed down.

"You're not fortunate enough to have me romantically." Heather winked, pulling out a carton of her own cigarettes.

"You forget that I have had you." I wiggled my eyebrows, making her bark a laugh.

"Barely." She rolled her eyes, "What did lover boy make of that?"

"He took it surprisingly well, all things considered. A little jealous, but who wouldn't be of you." I flirted jokingly.