Chapter Thirteen

Annabeth's POV:

The next few days passed by as boring as ever. To be honest, I hated not having Percy around every day. I was so used to eating meals with him and watching TV, but now the space just felt empty. Luke had popped in almost every day to watch movies, or he'd pick me up to go get coffee or go out to eat, but I was still bummed.

Luke seemed to notice that I was acting abnormal, but he didn't say anything until Percy had been gone for almost four days. "Can you please tell me what's up? You seem far away."

I shook myself out of my daze as Luke grabbed my hand beside me on the couch. "I'm all good. I'm sorry I'm so distracted."

"Are you still worried about Percy?" Luke asked. All he knew was that Percy had randomly decided to leave for a few days. I didn't want to tell him how much I missed Percy, but he could know I was worried.

"Yeah," I answered. "I texted him to check on him yesterday. He's staying with his mom, but he said he would probably be home tonight."

Luke nodded along as I spoke. "You guys seem like you're becoming better friends. Does it ever come up how often you two used to make out?"

I felt guilt flush through me because Luke still didn't know that Percy and I had kissed only a few days ago. "Not really. He made a joke about it once, but aside from that we haven't talked about it."

Something about Luke's look didn't seem right. I couldn't read what he was feeling in the slightest, but eventually he just shrugged. "Do you want to watch a movie for a little while?"

I grabbed the remote in response and handed it to Luke. He turned on a boring movie that I'd never heard of while I laid on his shoulder, drifting off into sleep that I'd barely gotten since mine and Percy's fight.

I awoke to see Luke talking to Percy who was sitting in the armchair next to the couch. Percy was smiling, laughing even as I blinked awake. I bolted up as I realized it was him, unconsciously scooting a little further from Luke.

Percy's eyes looked a little sad as he looked at me, but his smile stayed present on his face. "Look who's finally awake. I've been home for nearly an hour."

"Sorry I haven't slept well for the last couple of nights," I said before yawning and rubbing my eyes. I looked over Percy, the anger and sadness from a few nights ago seemed to have vanished. I was glad, but I still wanted to punch him for being gone so long without an explanation until yesterday though.

Percy finally broke the silence, I realized we'd been staring at each other for a moment while Luke, my boyfriend, was just watching. "So, Luke was just telling me about your new job. You got offered the job at your first interview, huh?"

I smiled. I'd walked into the interview very nervous, but the head of the firm loved me and my designs. I'd been offered the job at the end of the interview and was set to start on Monday. "The interview went really well. I think I'll actually have a shot to pitch my own designs at this new firm."

"I'm so proud of you," Percy said. "You really deserve that after the stuff with your mom."

Luke squeezed my side; I'd forgotten that he was sitting right next to me. "You deserve this more than anyone, Beth."

Percy suddenly stood up. "I'm going to go grab food, do you two want to come or do you want anything?"

I shrugged. "I'm down to come."

Luke pulled his arm from around my waist and stood up as well. "I actually have to get headed back home, but it was nice actually getting to talk to you, Percy. I'll see you both later." Luke kissed my forehead as he left.

I turned to Percy and registered sadness in his expression again, but he quickly wiped it away with a grin. "Food?"

"Let me grab my shoes." I picked up a pair of sneakers and pulled them on while Percy grabbed his jacket from the closet. "Where do you want to go?"

"How about that pizza place down the street?" Percy asked. "Or there's that new restaurant down by McDonald's that has really good mac and cheese?"

"I could kill for some good mac and cheese right about now." I opened the door, and we walked out together.

"How was your mom's?" I asked as we began walking down the street.

Percy smiled then tucked his hands into his jacket pockets. "It was really nice. My mom made enough blue food to feed an army while I was there, and I got to hang out with Estelle a lot."

"That's great. How many times did you watch Finding Nemo?"

Percy chuckled. "I think we watched it like four times, but that's not really that much."

"Wow, only four times in five days?" I teased. "I can't believe you skipped it one of the days."

"Well, I didn't get there till she was asleep the first night, so I didn't have the option." Percy glanced over at me. "I'm sorry about that fight the other day, by the way."

"Me too," I agreed. "I hate fighting with you. We should call a truce, but you have to promise not to leave again too?"

"Aww... Did you miss me Wise Girl?" Percy joked.

I smiled as I thought out a reply. "I missed your cooking. I mean your company is cool, but I hate having to make myself breakfast every morning."

Percy rolled his eyes, but it was evident that he thought it was funny. We arrived at a small restaurant, and Percy held open the door for me. "After you."

"What a gentleman," I mockingly praised.

"I'm never opening a door for you again," Percy joked as we sat down at a table near the front.

A waitress rushed to our table and took our orders. Percy and I ordered the exact same thing; Diet Coke with mac and cheese and chicken strips. We were both being children with our orders, but it sounded so good.

"I think that waitress thought we were mentally like five," Percy said after the waitress brought our drinks out. "Why can't two people in their twenties order mac and cheese with chicken strips?"

I tried not to laugh while taking a sip of my drink. "We're just misunderstood, I guess. They can't help but be jealous of our taste in food."

Percy snorted as he laughed, which was hilarious in itself. We talked while waiting for the food to come out. Apparently, Poseidon, Percy's father, was working on a large project with a few nonprofits to invest in safe fishing practices that would protect random species that kept getting caught in nets, and Percy was so excited about it.

As the food came out, Percy continued to tell me about random ocean species. I think my knowledge of dolphins exponentially increased as he talked. We began talking about architecture as well when the topic suddenly shifted to Hoover Dam, one of my favorite places.

We'd been at the restaurant for nearly two hours by the time we finally paid the bill and left, and Percy had been right about the incredible mac and cheese. We walked home in comfortable silence with the sounds of New York and traffic around us. Percy seemed really giddy by the time we got to the apartment building and turned to me suddenly. "Last one up is a rotten egg." He took off bounding up the stairs.

I followed quickly behind, but his longer legs allowed him to skip stairs as he ran up. He had me beat by a long shot. I met him at the door while he was unlocking it. "I believe I win, Wise Girl."

"Whatever Seaweed Brain," I joked back. We walked into the apartment, both exhausted by the long day. "I'm going to get to bed, night."

"Night Annabeth," Percy said as I walked to my bedroom. He gave me one last smile as I walked in, finally being able to sleep with him back home and our fight concluded.