Chapter 11: I think not

Anastacius POV

Skimming through the pages of the fake book I made about the luxury tax, making it look old and uncared for. The library became my study room and bedroom as I went back to the days where I become an owl. Then someone was knocking on the door in the pattern of "Potential Suitor", I made it mandatory to teach all the trusted maids and butlers to learn that rhythm and they all agreed anyways. So I took off my glasses and fixed my hair, once I opened the door I was met with Alan.

"Where are they?"

--------

"Actually...The luxury tax isn't my idea"

I opened the doors to interrupt their conversation at that moment. Glancing at the youngest son of Duke Verita, that familiar glint in the eyes when someone is trying to see through you irritates me. But sadly for you i won't let my guard down. Wearing my poker face, I greeted him.

"Greetings Sir Allendis, I apologise for my intrusion I wasn't informed of your arrival here"

"Brother!"

"Greetings Sir Anastacius, it's alright I should've sent word beforehand so this is a surprise!"

He said it like he didn't do this just to piss his Dad off. So I just went to Ari's side and poured myself a cup of tea.

"Please don't mind me here"

"A-as I was saying the luxury tax was not my idea. W-well I read it from a book"

"Really? What was the title of the book?"

"It-It didn't have a title. I found the book by chance in the library, but when I tried to find it again, it was gone"

"Hmm is that so?"

"Dear sister I assume this is the book you read it from?"

I held up the book with my left hand, as I turn my head to sideways winking at her with my visible right eye. The book was a bit tattered and it looked very old.

"Hmm I see so it was from that book?

"That's how it is sir Allendis"

"Hmm wait what's this? Perhaps you thought I would take back my offer of calling each other casually because the policy wasn't your idea?"

"Oh..but.."

"It's not important who thought of the idea first. The point is that you confidently spoke your thoughts in front of that scary emperor. I've taken a liking to you, either way I understand that you're bound by certain circumstances. So here's my suggestion when you are freed from those circumstances one day, will you marry me"

I was expecting this so I was not stone cold shocked but instead I just looked at him and Ari, like this is an interesting show to watch. The look on her face though is pretty funny and she was frozen still.

"So how about it? I'm quite the catch you know. Well, you'll learn more about me in due time! So what do y-"

"Absolutely not/ not ever" Me and dad spoke at the same time.

"!!"

"Fa-Father!!"

"Tia come here"

I grasped her tiny hands gently, as I tugged her to go behind Dad as I stand beside him. Shielding her from this kid, that is unworthy of her purity and kindness much less her hand in marriage, while I raised my eyebrows at him in a questioning manner.

"Greetings Marquess Keiran"

"Isn't this the first time you've met my Daughter? Proposing on the first day doesn't seem plausible."

"I fell for her at first sight"

"You are only 13 this year, are you not" I questioned him while crossing my arms at him.

"Love is not restricted by age, is it?"

You think you can outsmart me? Your a hundred years too young for that pest! As air the air got colder around me, dad and him, I let dad deal with him as I wipe Aristia's hands with my handkerchief. I hate how that pest dared to hold her hands.

"Sir Allendis l am not here for idle chatter" Dad is sorta losing his cool.

"And I am not joking here, sir. I have eyes and ears as well. I know that there's a possibility that Aristia will not become the empress. And what will everyone think if the engagement with the royal throne is called off? People will whisper that perhaps the Daughter of the house Monique has a fault"

I tore my gaze away from Ari as I stare up and down at this pest.

"-I will not stand and watch nor allow that to happen!!"

"How will you stop nobles from talking to each other? After the engagement is called off, House Monique's reputation will plummet and what's more, only second rates and good for nothings aiming only for the title of Marquess will begin to circle her. What do you think Marquess Keiran and sir Anastacius? If you would allow me to, I will become a good shield when the time comes. As Son of Duke Ruth, our families are on the same side."

"..."

"My dear Sister's comes first and foremost, but you forgot the most important fact. Those who dare slander her will crumble and fall, as House Monique will not fall that easily."

I grasped her right hand with my gloved one, firmly to reassure her that everything will be alright.

"O-of course!"

"Fine then, if you say so. We will of you as her Friend and not her fiancé...But only if-you pass our conditions" Dad and I have this weird telepathy thing, that when it comes to Ari we will both be saying the same things at the same time.

As he started getting calm, we immediately brought out our conditions before we can view him as her Friend.

"Yes"

------

"AAAUGH- This is bad!! I need to be strong enough to defeat not just one knight, but a whole squad!? I'm doomed!"

"Hehe"

"Don't laugh- our family has been bad with the sword for generations!"

"Do not sorry sir Allendis, you don't need strength to defeat the squad. You can just use your wisdom, it does run in your family does it not?"

"Ah you are right. But my Father and Brother are both bad at dancing or sports. I didn't even try because I thought I would shame myself."

He admitted it so easily, so boring...

"I see why House Verita has a lot of civil officers instead."

You're too nice dear Sister..

"But sir Anastacius didn't you also suggest that!?"

"This wouldn't have happened if you didn't propose marriage out of the blue. Besides I suggested 3 knights, it was Father who wanted the whole squad"

As I pointed out his mistake he lightly flinched.

"But I'm being serious!"

"And so are we"

" I'm sorry Aristia. I've made a deal without even asking your opinion first"

"Hmm I accept your apology!"

This is no good, so don't get your hopes up Sister!

[1154]