"He talks about you quite often." Vaughn shrugs, and his playful smirk is back again. "Anything else, madam queen?"

I'm about to open my mouth to respond, but he cuts me off.

"But there's this one fact about you that caught me off guard," he says, scrutinizing me.

"What?" I ask, clueless.

"That you've never had a boyfriend. I thought Jake was bluffing, feeding his ego, bragging about being your knight in shining armour. But now, I can see why he wants to look out for you even though you're in college."

I frown but can't resist asking more. "Why is that?"

Vaughn leans even closer, his gaze on me so intense that I'm scared to break our eye contact. "Because you, Melanie Spencer, are the good girl every bad boy dreams of," he deadpans, his voice low.

He startles me. Something about the way he said the sentence sends chills through my body, as if he's the bad boy himself. How could a guy flip his personality that fast?

One time, he made me laugh. But then, he sent shivers down my spine.

I pretend to scoff with ignorance. "How can you be so sure that I'm indeed a good girl?" I challenge him, already feeling inferior by the way he managed to read me like an open book.

To my surprise, he plasters a charming smile, brushing his fingers against my cheek before tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

And that movement heats up my cheek. His touch is like electricity on my skin. I freeze, like a statue.

"See?" He laughs. "You're blushing again. This is the fourth time."

Unbelievable. My face flushes even more, if that's even possible. I feel so embarrassed.

He's such a tease. Even when he called me pretty back then in the house.

"Are you drunk, Mel?" Jake's voice snaps me out from my trance as he takes his seat again between Vaughn and me at the bar.

Thank God. My lifesaver.

"Drunk?" I echo.

"She didn't even drink," Vaughn says, amusement present in his voice.

"But your face is so red." Jake studies me with concern. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"More than sure." I bite my lip, shifting my gaze to my straw again. "It's just so hot in here."

I'm not lying. It feels hot in here.

Vaughn. Vaughn is hot.

"How was the dance?" I ask Jake.

Jake smirks. "Fun." He calls the bartender and orders another shot. "Although I wish Vaughn wouldn't have let me enjoy it by myself."

I laugh. "It's true, then. You're not interested in any girl, Vaughn, even just for fun." Maybe he's indeed different from my brother. I don't know how to feel about it, but I think that it's a good thing. One thing I don't like about Jake is that he's a player. But as far as I know, Jake plays only if the feeling is mutual, only if both parties want no strings attached. He wouldn't play with a good girl.

"I am interested," Vaughn says, his voice lack of emotion. "I had a girlfriend."

And that surprises me. So, he's into serious dating, unlike Jake.

"For two years," Jake adds. "Broke up six months ago," he continues, as if knowing that I'm curious. "And you still leave me here alone with all these chicks out here, man." Jake scowls.

I watch Vaughn, who is still expressionless. Maybe my intuition a while ago was wrong. He isn't a bad boy. He was, apparently, a loyal boyfriend.

But why does his aura speak differently? Why does it speak of danger?

Why do I feel like he's dangerous?

"She's not worth it, Vaughn," Jake says before taking his shot and placing his tequila glass on the counter with a loud thud.

And at this moment, I see something that I don't expect. Hurt in Vaughn's eyes. Those amber eyes turn cold but filled with pain.

Has he not moved on from his ex-girlfriend?

I shake my head, not believing what I'm feeling. It's only day one since I met this guy, but so many questions have popped up inside my head.

About this mysterious guy.

I begin to consider creating that meme again.

Vaughn's effect.