The Littlest Things (Daryl x Reader)

Daryl x Reader

Submitted by Anon

34.) "Don't do that." "Do what?" "That. It's really cute, and really distracting."

Word Count: 808

Warnings: None

You've been friends with Daryl since the start. Even when he could be a little bit of an asshole when Merle was still around. Somehow you got him to trust you enough to let his guard down. He was different with you. He spoke more than with others, and he generally carried less of a weight on his shoulders.

Maybe it was because you were like him in ways, maybe because you put off some vibe or something. Whatever the reason, neither of you would trade a single day of it.

You guys go everywhere and do everything together. In travel your place is on the back of his bike, you tend to split off with him when he does his rounds through the woods, you go hunting with him, and everything else in between.

Today is no exception, you're right on his heels headed out to hunt. There's a deer close by, and you find a perch on a fallen tree, on leg hanging towards the ground, the other brought up to prop your head on. Daryl's watching the field with his bow raised, and you're watching him. What he will soon notice is nothing new. You've done it all along, he's just never really given it much thought.

You have a bad habit of biting your thumb when you were waiting on something. Not necessarily chewing your nail or anything, it's just what you did when you had to wait. Little do you know that Daryl's noticed it more and more and more lately. Truth be told, he's noticed a lot of things lately.

You two have always danced along the line of being just friends or something more, but neither one wants to say anything for fear of ruining this relationship. "Don't do that?"

Your brows furrow, "Do what?" Without a thought, your thumb goes right back.

"That...." he pauses, and you could almost swear there is a blush creeping up on his cheeks as he looks away from you. "It's really cute and really distracting."

A smirk spreads across your face, "My, my, never did I think I'd hear Daryl Dixon call something cute." He just rolls his eyes and starts walking away, "Wait, come back here. You can't just call me cute and then walk away."

You catch his arm and his eyes stay trained on the ground even as his body turns to face you. "Daryl, look at me." Slowly his eyes find yours, and that slight blush has returned. "Hey."

"Sorry, I-"

"Why are you apologizing?" Your finger sweep across his face, moving his hair out of the way.

"I shouldna said that."

"Why?"

"Don't wanna make things weird."

A small laugh escapes from your lips, "Daryl, the only thing that could make that weird is me not liking the fact you think I'm cute." His head tilts slightly. "Daryl, I love you. I have for a long time. Kept it to myself for the same reason, and now I'm the one going out on a limb and taking the chance of making things-"

Your words are cut off when his mouth crashes into yours. The kiss is gentle and demanding all at once. All the years of built of tension coming out in one fail swoop. When you come up for air, his eyes are locked on yours. He simply gives a small nod, and you smile knowing what he means. He's a man of action rather than words, and in that he said what he couldn't yet say with words.

"Sorry 'bout the deer." You say letting a sheepish grin pass your lips.

His lips curl ever so slightly, "S'okay. I bagged one earlier."

"What? When?"

"Earlier, when you were sleepin'."

You hit him in the arm, "Daryl Dixon, you came out here without me?" You fold your arms across your chest and pull out the most pitiful little puppy dog eyes you could, "How dare you? You know we're hunting buddies."

He playfully shakes his head and mimics your tone, "You know we're hunting buddies." Your whole facade breaks as a giggle passes your lips making him laugh too. "Come on," he says, throwing his arm over your shoulders.

"I demand an answer. Why?" You're just as stubborn as he is. It's one of the reasons you get along so well, but it was also the reason everyone had their doubts in the beginning. They all swore they'd see you two combust one day. To this day, that's never happened. You get into arguments, but it's mostly about the other doing something stupid that could get them killed, and it's always done out of a caring heart and a mutual respect.

"You were sleeping. Needed the rest."

"Okay fine. You're just a big softy, you know that. I forgive you... kinda."

"Yea, yea, keep it movin' princess."