190. Tying the Knot

"Please be upstanding for the groom..." Instructed the orchestrator of the ceremony.

Ahead of him was Bucky, his back to Steve as he awaited under a white gazebo draped with pink blooming hibiscus vines. Either side was the two wings of guests, lines of white chairs with white silk throws over them; packed out with familiar faces of colleagues and friends. Before Bucky was the registrar, raised at the carved wooden lectern, with the papers she was due to recite from fanned across the stand. She smiled encouragingly down the distance stretched before him.

All of it was set up on a segment of the beach: staged on the white sands with the blue ocean a thick ribbon on the horizon, but it's sloshing and whooshing audible; the ambience romantic and calming. The magnificent old hotel overlooked the tranquil beach: it's eroded grey brick walls and craggy roofs somewhat fitting perfectly with the shabby chic feel of the location.

The Star Spangled Banner played loud and clear, the song that Bucky deemed appropriate for Steve to walk down the aisle to. Steve mustered an eye roll, even on the happiest day of his life whilst immersed in entrenching apprehension; waiting at the very end of the stretch of carpet that lined the beach.

Sam and Phil stepped in ahead of Steve, both smiling at him, bearing a ring on either plush plumped embroidery trimmed cushion. The small simplistic platinum bands glinted in the sunlight and Steve smiled to himself contently. Everything was coming together as planned.

"Best of luck, son," Coulson said kindly, wrinkled laughter lines crinkling around his eyes.

"Like he'll need it(!)" Sam joked cheekily, and the pair set off down the long red carpet.

Steve watched the two best men descend the aisle, coupled with the rings within their grasp.

The next two aisle participants stepped in. Natasha and Maria had elected to dress in identical indigo grooms-maid dresses, made of sheer bunches of light material that flowed around their knees with a sweetheart neckline at their busts; their long tanned legs bared to the sun. As they made their descent to flank Sam and Coulson, a smart-ass comment from his left nattered on.

"Who would've thought..? Maria Hill and Natasha Romanoff in dresses... Voluntarily!" Tony snarked, cocking his head at the pair of women sauntering the length of the aisle: eyes blatantly admiring inappropriate areas.

"Hey, eyes front, Stark," Clint warned, voice stern and giving Tony a stubborn glare. "Or I'll tell Nat..." Clint finished polishing his RayBans with his breast handkerchief and balanced them on his face. He untidily stuffed the hanky into the pocket again and gave a wrinkle of the nose as he saw the scrunched mess.

"Whatever bird-brain..." Tony snorted. "Good luck, spangles," Tony addressed Steve, giving him a small salute from his wispy grey sideburns and a smirk. "Glad to see you're marrying a guy with a sense of humour," he snickered, him and Clint setting off in sync and strolling to the beat of The Star Spangled Banner.

As they split apart at the end of the aisle and went to stand still like statues in their coordinated places, Steve began his walk. Each step carried him closer to the most important moment of his life, heading to his date with destiny.

His heart felt lighter than air, as if someone had pumped it full of helium. His whole stomach felt on fire, scorching with excitement and love. Each step was springy and enthusiastic, eager to reach his spot and complete the line up. But he walked the aisle alone, and the absence of family on his arm to deposit him to his love seemed incorrect; it evoked some feelings of sadness and sympathy amongst friends. The music decrescendo'ed to a peaceful conclusion as he levelled with Bucky; feet stilling and meeting in military stance.