135. Felons and Freaks

The lowest section of the horizon was stained a bloodied orange; wisps of ruby clouds swirling in the brim of the sky where it was welded to the ground. The light was dwindling and the great orb of fire had sunk from visibility; only its rays remained, their glow dying and distant. The residual light was being usurped by the invading darkness that was encroaching on the fiery glow lingering over the ground.

Steve and Bucky raced down the open runway; Steve's bike purring like a jaguar as it ripped through the air. Steve's short strands were being debauched by the wind; rifling through his spikes. Bucky's long dark strands flapped like laundry on a washing line on a windy day: dark tendrils not unlike tentacles flicked about, whipping the side of his face and messing up his hair.

The air tasted crisp and icy on their tongues and fresh as it doused their senses; flowing freely through their airways. There was a sense of freedom as they speeded in the open space; the only sound was the blasting revving of the planes taking off overhead; their flashing tail lights the only thing filling the gaping expanse of atmosphere above.

Both of them were grinning, feeling unchained and relaxed by the twilight and the flat plane that stretched as far as they could see.

With the minutes closing in on them, they turned off to the hangar building accompanying the runway and let the bike roll to a halt. In the distance they could see the bright headlights heralding the arrival of the rest of their team.

Knowing they had time, Bucky took Steve's cheeks into his palms and let their lips mingle lightly, just capturing Steve's plush lips between his own and thieving kisses off him. His tongue dipped into Steve's mouth adventurously and their tongues patiently waltzed, weaving and rubbing. Steve picked Bucky up and threw Bucky's legs around his waist, supporting him entirely on his broad hips effortlessly: he was as brawny and supportive as a tree; unswayed and unbothered by the additional effort. He was as balanced as a ballerina or a pair of scales. Bucky linked his ankles behind Steve's back and hummed enthusiastically against Steve's lips, sending pleasant shockwaves between both of their mouths.

"It's been too long," Steve whispered into his mouth, their tongues still looping and twirling like ballroom dancers.

"We need to find some privacy at some point..." Bucky agreed," angling his head and tentatively licking his way into Steve's mouth with his new tactic.

"Agreed..." Steve whispered, his thoughts in harmony and his words in concord. He unhooked Bucky's legs and lowered him heedfully to the ground, hands cupping his thighs as he allowed Bucky to slip off his body.

Steve looked out across the horizon, the procession was approaching, kicking up dust in their wake: headlights of cars and a motorbike. They wouldn't be alone for much longer.

Bucky and Steve linked hands, their fingers lacing together with a tentative squeeze.

"I love you, y'know, Bucky?" Steve spoke, his face cast in orange light but equally shadowed by dynamic darkness.

"I love you too, Steve," Bucky responded, protectively curling his hand around Steve's hip and embracing him closer; squeezing him to his side. "Always."

The rest of their team turned up respectably on time. Clint and Natasha turned up on a motorbike, ever the thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. Bruce and Tony took Tony's burgundy Acura NSX, the billionaire refusing to be without his favourite vehicle. Sam turned up in his black Audi A4 and parked alongside the selection of highly valuable vehicles.

Just as everyone had finally assembled, greeting with pecks on the cheeks and small hugs.

Steve pounded his fist on the hangar door twice. He patiently awaited the door to be answered, and then the whole metal door peeled back, a scraping mechanical whir starting up. The volume of the assembly dropped to zero decibels, all enthralled by the enigmatic reveal. They ducked under, creeping into the darkness and the unknown, clutching their knapsacks and rucksacks of possessions and clothes.