141. Freudian Slip

"So what's our tactic?" Steve orderly organised the room, finally railing the conversation back on track. As he said so, he caught the eye of every invested member in the room.

"Our tactic Captain, is not simple. I've devised a division of labour that plays to the strengths of all of you and underplay your weaknesses," he intuitively expressed. "First of all, I need eyes, I need scientific, mathematical and tactical minds. I need someone to play overseer with me, guarding your backs through hacking into their systems and thinking up emergency strategies if push should come to shove. Banner... I don't want you vulnerable, as much as I'd hate to deny you the chance in the field if you should want it - I just think you'd be better off as the intellectual genius behind our escapes and plans. Do I have your agreement?" Phil checked, grimacing as he broke the news to the doctor.

"You've clearly figured out its better off that way. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting the big guy in a sensitive covert operation anyway - sometimes things get a bit out of control when what's needed is discretion. Overseer is safer for everyone," Bruce agreed, nudging up the wiry silver spectacles on the tip of his eagle-like nose and giving a timid twitchy smile.

"I was hoping you could work with Fitz, our other technical mind... Seeing as we're one member down..." Phil's face was downcast with regret and he surrendered to anguish, his jaw flexing at the joint with bitterness intermixed too. "I hate to inform you all that Jemma Simmons has dropped out, she's retired from the squad. Not officially of course - there was no formal resignation: she just upped and left in the night. I'm sure we're all sorry to see her go," Phil tried to bury his inner turmoil but sadness and desperation shone in his eyes. "So! We'll be running watch for the rest of you whilst you infiltrate bases. But still: I've divided you further... May, Romanoff and Barton, you three will go ahead and try and run a stealth op to rig the base to blow, and you will be escorting Skye, our chief technological computer genius - sorry, Tony - who will infiltrate the central computer and clear their database and collect all of their intel."

"So we escort the bomb and the hacker?" Natasha cleared up.

"Exactly," Phil agreed.

"Do you have any espionage or self-defence training?" Barton checked with Skye. "Because we can't promise we'll constantly have your back if we have other goals too." Clint raised an eyebrow at the flimsy looking kid with the pristine makeup and hair.

"May's been training me. My training is beyond adequate. I can shoot a gun if that's what you're asking," Skye facetiously commented, smirking with self-satisfaction.

"Then leading our strike team, none other than Captain Rogers. Captain, you'll be directing Tony, Trip, Sam... You'll be the team to intercept and take out agents should a covert raid go wrong or is impossible. I'm sure your experience will lend well to this, Steve..." Phil tipped his head respectfully, almost as if he was saluting.

"What about me?" Bucky piped up, raising a palm of suggestion.

"Barnes, have I got a special role for you! Rogers tells me you're the finest marksman the world has ever seen. I say told - more like gushed. I've got you on sniper duty to take out guards ahead of the team and clear their passage before they enter, as far as possible, then it's your duty to rendezvous with the rest of them inside the base. I believe you did a bit of recon work in your time and it would only be right if you got the chance to demonstrate your..." He put inverted commas around the next phrase he spoke. "lightening speed close quarters combat skills."

Bucky gave Steve a sideways glance, flattered by his compliments. Bucky wrapped his silken skin hand around Steve's wrist and caressed the back of his hand, thumb looping in circles and affectionately thanking Steve.