xiii. conflict resolution

Start from the beginning

         (Rita stomach stirs at the sight of JJ angry, as if she's thrilled by it, and she doesn't know why.)

John B jabs at the air with his hand for emphasis. "We all know you were the one who told her about the gold at midsummers--"

"Yeah, but you know, I don't remember taking a vote on this one," Kie cuts in, and all eyes jump back to where she's stood leaning against a pillar on the porch's fence, arms folded around herself defensively. "And without Rita, you'd be dead. This isn't even about who we tell -- it's about the fact she's a Kook. When this is our thing. A Pogue thing."

"I've gotta say," Pope speaks up, "I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this."

"Thank you!" Kie chimes.

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B quips sarcastically.

"I dunno -- I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably," Pope retorts, his face and voice defensive.

There's a blip in the argument and a moment of silence, birds chirping in the trees just beyond the terrace, before JJ adds with a shrug and a flick of his eyes up to John B, "It's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him."

Jaw clenching, John B looks away. "That's cute, guys."

"You know," says Kie, gesturing with a shove of her hand toward Sarah, "we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her!"

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Sarah finally snaps, voice dripping with sharp and bitter loathing.

But Rita honestly doesn't know what she's expecting from that remark, because Kiara doesn't hesitate in tilting her head and calling her bluff as she deadpans, "Then leave."

Sarah scoffs, turning her head to John B with a certain, indistinct look in her eye: half amused, half pissed. "I told you."

"Told him what, exactly?" Kiara yells, tilting her head. "That you're a liar...?"

"No, that you're a shit-talking bitch!" spits Sarah.

Then everything erupts into noise: as the girls descend into yelling, there's gasps from the boys. Rita, from across the porch, sees them exchange whispers and money and has to resist her smile, considering the tone of the moment; instead she starts forward, trying to intervene, adding to the cacophonous noise of voices, none of them even listening to each other.

"EVERYBODY SHUT UP!"

Stunned, five pairs of eyes turn to John B. Rita takes a step back, leaning on the porch's wooden fence.

"Kie, you're my best friend, right?" he stresses, looking at her seriously with widened brown eyes.

Lips pursed, she seems reluctant to admit it, but she nods.

He turns his head. "And, Sarah, you're..." He hesitates, breathing out a nervous chuckle, not knowing what to say. Rita can almost feel the cringe approaching like a wave, and it's gonna be a biggie; oh, boy, these two are corny as hell. "You're my..."