xi. rita's kindred spirits

CHAPTER ELEVEN:RITA'S KINDRED SPIRITS

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
RITA'S KINDRED SPIRITS

[EPISODE FIVE: MIDSUMMERS]

❖ ❖ ❖

The Pogues, of course, follow the ambulance to the hospital, JJ driving with an inconsolable Sarah in the cab. Sarah's parents are called, and her dad's meeting them at St Olive's, the hospital downtown. Once they arrive, JJ swings into the ambulance parking lot, which is most definitely illegal, as both Pope and Rita point out

"I'll find somewhere else," he dismisses. "Just go see if he's okay."

The other four pour out of the Volkswagen doors and JJ reverses, swings around, and disappears into the dark expanse of the huge parking lot to go find somewhere to pull up. Rita glances back, half wondering if he really is going to find somewhere, or if he's going to find Topper; she can't trust him not to do the latter, but she's realised that she really doesn't mind. Whatever Topper gets, he deserves.

"Hey, come on," Pope says, seeing her lagging behind and going back for her.

She follows him into the hospital waiting area, which is bustling with sick and well folk alike, and Sarah's already pushed to the front of the queue to reception with a name drop of her dad and is asking about John B.

"You did good," Pope says quietly as they both watch her.

"So did you," Rita replies. Pope had been the one to sprint back to the car to grab a cellphone and call 911 -- at least, that's what he'd said after the ambulance arrived, because in the heat of the moment she'd been too busy leaning over John B's unresponsive body to notice what anybody else was doing. "My dad's gonna have a nervous breakdown when he sees me. Although I think Sarah's already having one." Because she is currently interrogating the nurse at the desk.

          "They don't actually call them nervous breakdowns anymore," Pope says lightly, and she looks across at him with a grimace, unable to tell if he's joking. From the way he nods at her earnestly, he's not. "It's a major depressive episode."

          "... Thanks, that really helps me out with my dad problem."

Pope grins. "Sorry."

          At that moment, Sarah joins them again, followed by a pursed-lipped Kie. The blonde's arms are folded around her as she rubs at her eyes with one hand; her sobbing stopped at some point during the ride over to the hospital, but tears occasionally keep coming. "They say he's being taken into the ICU now," she explains. "He's got a concussion and they think a broken arm. They're gonna x-ray him."