xiii. conflict resolution

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:CONFLICT RESOLUTION

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
CONFLICT RESOLUTION

[EPISODE SIX: PARCEL NINE]

❖ ❖ ❖

When JJ and Rita arrive back at the Chateau and unload the car, John B darts out to meet them just before they can enter. "Okay, okay," he rushes out, already hurriedly raising his hands as if in surrender. "Don't be pissed at me, alright? But I had no choice, considering I'm-- well--"

But muttering something under his breath, JJ, rope under his arm, has pushed past him already and Rita follows him through the screen door and onto the terrace of John B's cabin. The floorboards creak underfoot as they step out -- and then stop abruptly, simultaneously, like an odd pair of twins.

"Oh," Rita manages, the sound escaping through the unintentional O shape of her lip. "Ohh. Oh, noooo."

Sarah Cameron, sat on the couch pressed against the panelled wall of the house, looks meekly up at her with a grin.

Rita can't make herself smile back, both out of shock and knowledge of how badly this is about to go down, and simply let's her eyes flutter up to JJ, who's turned his head to gauge her reaction. They share a look, which Pope, who is sat on an armchair at the end of the terrace, can read perfectly. He gestures toward the blonde, muttering a, "Yup, told you so, John B. They're gonna kill you."

"No, I'm not," says Rita, and as if on cue, a final car door slams outside: Kiara. Rita takes the rope from JJ and announces a sharp, "She is," before she disappears into the Chateau to busy herself dumping their supplies in the kitchen. There's yelling as soon as Kiara steps onto the porch.

"No effing way!" Kie is shouting when Rita emerges through the screen door again, pacing up the terrace before looking sharply at John B, who's joined Sarah sitting on the arm of the half-ragged couch. Rita lingers by the door. "You brought her here? So, what, she's in on this now?"

Hesitantly, John B looks at Pope and JJ, sat on the arm chair together. Pope simply shrugs.

"Look," JJ drawls. "All I care about, is her cut comes out of your share." He jabs a finger at John B.

"Okay, that's cute, JJ," John B retorts, "because by that logic Rita's share should come from your cut."

"I don't want a cut--" Rita goes to protest, but JJ beats her to it.

"Bro, by what bullshit logic is that?" he snaps, clearly having none of it, which Rita appreciates. A stone is thoroughly lodged in her throat, making it impossible to fight back; maybe she's been overestimating how much John B actually likes her. So she's glad JJ's pissed for her. She tries to send him a grateful stare, but he holds John B's eyes, raising his eyebrows with cocky expectancy.