vii. fraternising with the enemy

CHAPTER SEVEN:FRATERNISING WITH THE ENEMY

CHAPTER SEVEN:
FRATERNISING WITH THE ENEMY

[EPISODE FOUR: SPY GAMES]

❖ ❖ ❖

By the time Rita gets back (after taking around two whole minutes, considering the amount of care she had to take to avoid alerting her dad), JJ is still sat on the curb where she left him but he's already smoking, the earthy smell permeating the air and ringlets of smoke unfurling around him like steam during a play.

"Who'd you get it from, anyways?" she asks, sitting down beside him and leaning back on her hands as she stretches out her legs. "I've got no idea who to buy from on this stupid island. I know Rafe has a tendency for, y'know—" she covers one nostril and sniffs over-dramatically, the action making JJ laugh, "but I couldn't go to him for weed. And I don't feel like tripping balls on any of the shit he does. I just like to relax sometimes."

Inhaling, JJ nods slowly, tilting his head in agreement about her opinion of coke. "Same guy, actually," he says as he exhales, handing Rita the joint with his finger and thumb. "Barry. He's not a nice dude, though, so let me know if you ever wanna see him and I'll come with."

Breathing in smoke, Rita blinks and looks at him through the misty air. For once, he's not staring back. "You'd do that?" she asks. She'd been hoping the surprise wouldn't show in her voice, but she sounds airy, the words almost invisible with her shock.

"Sure," he says. "We're buds, aren't we?"

          Rita smiles when he looks at her. "I guess we are."

          JJ suddenly squints into a glare, pointing at her teasingly. "But you're not forgiven for your date with Rafe."

"Oh, trust me, I haven't even forgiven myself."

         JJ smiles.

          She hands back his cig, leaning backward as he sits upward to lean on his knees to smoke. For a moment, or maybe an hour, she can't tell, there's silence. But it's a comfortable silence — peaceful, enjoyable, almost relieving. That's how Rita knows she likes JJ (even though she'd spent the better half of the past week intimidated by him), because the two of them can just shut up, and it's not awkward. Not in the slightest.

        This is the first time, Rita realises, that she's been able to wholeheartedly enjoy somebody's company on this god-forsaken island. No small talk, no ulterior motives, no confusion, no business talk. Just... Relaxing