Chapter Two

I reached home at seven, asked Ramu kaka, my chef, to make a sandwich, and worked out for 45 minutes. I had one full glass of barley water and left for my evening walk.

There is a beautiful park approximately 100 meters from where I stay. It has a mile-long circular jogging path with a small pond right in the middle. This place is very close to my heart, and I spend all my mornings and evenings here daily. It had become an important part of my routine, and I wouldn't miss it, no matter what. It gave me peace.

I had also started a health cafe near the pond, which I operate on a no-profit, no-loss basis. It roughly accommodates 12 people at a time and is frequented by health-conscious folks from the nearby areas.

It was a very breezy evening. Since it was the beginning of the winter season, temperatures had begun to nip down a little. I had just finished my walk and was calmly sitting outside the cafe, enjoying a glass of hot milk, thinking about absolutely nothing. A light saxophone was being played in the background, and I was lost in a place I would never want to come back from.

Just then, I saw a young woman walking towards the cafe.

"Excuse me, who is the owner of this cafe?" she asked my chef at the cafe, Ananda.

He greeted her warmly and pointed towards me.

"Yes, mam," I said, rising from my seat, "how can I help you?"

"Hi, I am Sayali," she said, offering me a handshake.

"I am CK; please have a seat."

She was around 5 and a half feet, a little on the healthier side, and her short hair was nicely tied into a pony. She had big brown eyes, high arched eyebrows, long eyelashes, and a perfect dusky complexion. She was looking stunning in blue ripped jeans and a white body hugging a full-sleeve T shirt. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

"I really love this place, and I want to thank you for setting it up right here overlooking this lovely pond. Everything about this cafe is just wow. The light music, the old lantern-type hanging lamps, the mood lighting, the wooden stools, the ambience—it just takes my breath away every time I am here. The food here is also fabulous. Now I have traveled across all major cities in Europe, the UK, and the United States, and I haven't seen a place like this. I wanted to review it but couldn't find it anywhere on the internet. How can I thank you?"

"First of all, thank you very much, Sayali, for your kind words. You really made my day. This is a private cafe running on a no-profit, no-loss basis, only for the health-conscious. I am doing it out of my passion, so I have purposely kept it away from generating any sort of commercial interest. Whatever little profit we do manage to generate here goes to a local NGO.".

"I am impressed."

"Thank you. Do you come here daily? I mean, I am seeing you here for the first time."

"This is my third visit here. I usually come around 7 for a stroll with my mother. I stay just nearby. The fifth house on the left."

"And you will be pleased to know Sayali that the seventh house is mine".

"Oh really, that's awesome."

"You are Bhau Patil's ..."?

"I am his little sister".

"I have met him a couple of times. At such an young age he is politically very well connected".

"He is just like my father".

"But I am wondering how we didn't meet before".

"That's because I was in the States for 3 straight years and have returned just last week".

I thought she was really blessed as there was a permanent grin pasted on her face, like she was always smiling. Her face was so expressive , one could guess what's going inside her just by looking at her.

"Right. Would you like to have something"?

"Sure. Tell me what's the best you have here"?

"Would you mind a short glass of hot steaming A2 milk, boiled with organic turmeric and served with a dash of black pepper and dark chocolate topping"?

"Sounds great," she said, her eyes all lit up.

"It's our signature beverage here and you will love it".

"Well I am sure I will".

"Wow", she said as the breeze suddenly picked up making a light whistling sound.

"The air is so pure here, feels like the most beautiful place on the planet right now".

"I have no doubt, it has to be".

Ten minutes later Ananda got her order and a plate of almond cookies.

"This is pure delight," she said taking her first sip.

"I knew you would love it."

"Thank you so much for this."

"You're welcome".

"I am sorry I forgot your name".

"It's Ck".

"Ck"?

"Yes."

"As in Calvin Klein"? she joked.

"No, as in....as in Champak", I hesitated a little.

"Champak? Really"? She burst into laughter.

I loved the way she threw her head back and laughed like a little child.

" I am really sorry but that's a very funny name and it doesn't suit your personality at all."

"I know. That is the reason I always use the shorter version".

"Anyways, as they say, what's in a name".

"Couldn't agree more".

"So how long are you running this place"?

"Just over six months".

"You could make a lot of money from such cafes if you want".

"I know but I don't have the time right now. I might do it in the future though. I am into diamonds and my job keeps me out of the country for 2 weeks every month".

"That is a lot of travelling".

"Yeah, but I love it".

"Okay, so..." she said looking for her purse.

"Oh please don't bother Sayali, this one's on me".

"Are you sure"?

"Of course".

"Thank you....Um...Champak," she was laughing again. There was this infectious vibe in her and I quickly found myself laughing with her.

"Looks like you are having a lot of fun here". I said as she really was finding it hard to stop laughing.

"Yeah and at the expense of someone I have just met".

"Well I don't mind that at all".

"You're a cool guy Ck. I am glad I met you ".

Suddenly the breeze picked up again and the wind was kind of playing with her hair now. It was a delight to watch her untie her hair and then putting them back into a perfect pony with that cute little hair band. I found myself staring at her and I had to quickly gather myself as we walked home together.

"It was really a pleasure meeting you Ck."

"Ah thank God you said Ck".

"You see, I open up quiet easily with like-minded people".

"Thank you Sayali," I said as we shook hands outside her gate.

"Good night, see ya tomorrow."

I don't know what was happening to me, I mean we had just met and it didn't feel as if we were meeting for the first time. There was an instant connection. I laughed as I was feeling a little stupid. I sure had a great time though.