Mondays

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slowly one of my eyelids open and I peek at the alarm clock. I attempt turn it off with the power of my mind, knowing full well that the only way the stupid thing was going to shut off was if I managed to move my arm to hit the snooze button.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ugh, I slide over to the side of my mattress and swing my arm near to where I thought the alarm was. Unfortunately, after bashing my hand on the nightstand a few times, I remembered that my sister put the clock on the other side of the room yesterday night to encourage her to actually wake up.

Considering my sister can't hear anything under 300 decibels in her comotose sleep state, it leaves me to get myself out of bed so I can crawl over to our sleek black television stand and turn off the stupid contraption.

Slowly, I sat myself up and stretched lazily. I felt content as my bones cracked and my body relaxed.  The warmth from my nightly slumber still radiated through the heavy comfortor and I was tempted to fall back into the toasty bed.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Hesitantly I shrugged off the coverings allowing the cold stale winter air to penetrate my steel wall of heat. I, then dragged myself ten feet to the other side of the room and yanked the machine off the stand greeting me with the soft sound of nothing. Regrettably the cord was ripped from plastic backing effectively ending the life of  yet another alarm clock.

"Perfect! Looks like we'll have to buy another." I moaned grudgingly.

I turn towards my senseless sister and am suddenly filled with heady anticipation. I rub my hands together furiously, excited with the aspects of a good scare. A certain someone needs a wake up call. 

Whose wake up call you might ask? Why, it was my dear sisters turn to be violently woken up to a rude, loud, chirpy alarm clock. I sneaked over to her side of the room. A devilish smile appears on my face. A small giggle squeezes itself from my mouth, but I stop myself. I must remain quiet. Like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, I  let my fingers tease each other and tap to my own personal beat.

Crouching to the floor and readying myself for my great pounce. My muscles stretched and as if in slow motion my body arched and I sprang while errupting into the most annoying screeches. Two seconds later I was on top of my complaining sister who was startled by the sudden outburst.

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" I chanted joyously enjoying my sisters discomfort. 

"Get offa me you big oaf" She muffled, trying to get out from underneath me and return to her twisted dream world. 

"NOPE! I have you in my grasp and I will never let go!" I grinned widely. "Well, atleast until you wake up." 

"I don't wanna." She groans loudly and attempted to roll over. She swats at me roughly so I start jumping on her prone form.

"WAKE UP DEAR SISTER OF MINE" I holler directly into her ear. There that should get her up.

"I am awake.. now that you've ruptured my lungs and blew out my eardrums!" she howled.

Satisfied I jumped off of her and watched her roll out of her bed and glare at me.

I shrugged trying to play the innocent angel.

 "Hey don't shoot the messenger, you're the one who told me to wake you up. And that if you didn't wake to use any means necessary to make you get up." I retorted sweetly.

She huffed and narrowed her chocolate eyes at me, but I had already won. So she just walked out of the room hitting me in the shoulder on the way out.  As she did this my whole body jerked and I spun to the ground. Jesus, sometimes that girl doesn't understand her own strength.

It was no use yelling after her since she had already rushed downstairs.

My sister Eva and I are twins. While we may look alike with our long blond hair and twinkling brown eyes we couldn't be any different. I am a dreamer. Always stuck in my head and easily bored; I tend to drift from place to place imagining that I am anywhere else. I might be a bit of a loner too.

My sister on the other hand is very grounded and always the center of attention. She oozes confidence and has the ability to make friends fairly easily. She does however has an issue with abrasiveness and gets into arguments easily.

I am thinking about our differences as I walk down the stairs and step onto the landing that leads to our living room.

The desruction left behind in my sisters wake was tremendous and the living room looked as if a hurricane hit it. I swear my sister needs her own personal maid to clean up all of the messes she leaves behind. Our bedroom is not much better and I am often the one responsible for cleaning it which infuriates me to no end.

I glanced at the the coffee table and looked for the tacky and strange knick-knacks that my mom often used to decorate the house. Turning it into a corny heaven for all those who dare enter. I wasn't surprised to see some of them lying on the floor. I picked up a grotesquely shaped angel and a few other strange looking ceramic items and placed them on the table. Its a good thing mom didn't see her treasured ornaments on the ground. She would have probably flipped out and grounded Eva. My sister had better kiss my toes in heavenly worship for days. 

This particular Monday morning was rushed. We both had a late start and just barely made it in time to catch the bus.

******************************