Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Noteworthy

Ocean Micheals

I know that when I pull into this parking lot, get out of this car, and see mom and Pike, it will be totally different.

When I check in the nurse smiles.

" Oh yes, Mr. Micheals, we've got some good news. Dr. Hastings is waiting for you, your brothers there." She says, then she scribbles down the room number and gives it too me.

" Have a nice day! " She happily goes back to tapping on her keyboard.

I take the elevator and check my phone for anything. Rune's texted me:

»I'm at school, 2nd period is so freaking boring. Get me out of here.

I laugh and text back.

»Can't, got some things to do. Besides how am I going to get you out of school?

The elevator clicks open and I dodge an incoming wheelchair and nurse. Then take the right which leads to a nice big room that takes up most of the right side of the wall. The glass has shades and right now, I wouldn't be able to see what's going on if I tried.

Opening the door, I saw that Pike and Dr. Hastings were both having a cup of coffee. Pike looked fine, with his long hair neatly combed back and his his physique looking relaxed and even.

That's good, very good.

Dr.Hastings is a young looking guy with white streaks lining his ironic short styled mohawk. He's also looking laid back.

" Ocean, nice to see you. Please sit, I've got some good news for you." He says, his voice smokey, and surprisingly deep. Unlike how he looks.

" Yeah I've noticed what is it." I'm handed a cup of coffee and put it to the side having earlier drank coffee.

" We've made a break through in stem cell research, and we think that if we get a piece of you moms pancreas. Then put regenerating cells into it, we could implant it back into your moms pancreas and the cells would regenerate inside her." He continues.

" Well, has it been tested?" I wouldn't dare put something in my mom that hasn't been tested yet.

Dr. Hastings makes an unsure face and I can already tell that it hasn't. I decide to take he initiative and start walking.

" Wait! " He says.

I turn around. To hell with the idea of putting untested crap in my mom.

" Ocean if this works it could be revolutionary. It could lead to millions ... no billions of people being saved. Are you on board or not?" His voice stern, serious, I've just met him and he seems as if he truly cares.

Pike gets up and grabs my shoulder, tight, then opens the door.

" Excuse us for a second doc. " He says, then he directs me out and closes the door behind him.

" The hell is wrong with you, Ocean?" He spits, it's quite but sure as hell is loud in my ear.

" He is not putting regenerative cells in her. Sometimes they don't even work well. You know that right? I've watched documentaries, and read books. Pike don't you think I study what I love. One day I want to change the world, but it's not going to happen with people who try to kill my mother faster than deemed possible."

Pike says nothing, just stares at me with an unreadable expression.

" Ocean, chances are taken because there is a possibility that it will work. Not because it's a good chance, but because sometimes it hurts more to stand back and not do anything than to do something and fail." Pike looks me deep in the eyes.

Silence.

" Fine, Pike. But if mom says no then it's no. She already said that she doesn't want to go on." I swallow dryness.

Pike smiles, " Great, now let's do this together."

When the door opens, Dr. Hastings cheery face is gone.

" I'm sorry .... I'm so sorry Ocean."