Chapter 1: The Scorpio Protocol

Year 2040: Date of President Limb's death: 17/10/40.

“General,” Scorpio broke through the door to General Brogan's office, “they've infiltrated the base.”

The General's eyes popped, “what! No those doors are pure steel, that's impossible.”

Scorpio shifted his view to the arc of screens behind the General which showed CCTV of the base, two of the them were already broken, showing just static and a third was black. “Those two,” he pointed to the static camera, “what floors are they?” he asked the engineer who was sat in front of the screens.

“Erm... that would be ground floor and A1.”

The General slumped in his chair and put his head in his hands.

“What do we do General?” The Engineer asked, visibly shaking. “Sir. Sir? Sir?”

“Shut up!” The General bellowed.

“I most certainly will not.” A woman of considerable stature glided in and perched herself on top of the General's desk.

“I did not mean you, Madam Commander.” The General stood and saluted, staring at the back wall of his office.

Madam Commander let out a shrill laugh, “oh Geoffrey, you are a silly one. Gentlemen, and Scorpio.” She nodded towards her fellow female. “What might be the situation?”

The General cleared his throat and stood tall, stomping his boot on the ground, checked himself and made eye contact with Madam Commander. She tilted her head a little, inviting him to continue. “Invaders have-”

“What kind of invaders?”

“Savages, have invaded the base, they risk the entire operation. This may be our last chance to begin the operation.”

“Am I missing something, General?” Madam Commander asked, “can I ask what this operation might be or is it all hush-hush. Because to me it is very hush-hush. Why have I not heard of it?”

The General gulped, “purely confidential and need-to-know basis, Ma'am. Only four people know of this operation, and it need to be launched imminent to deal with this threat.”

Suddenly two people stumbled into the room, gasping for breath, with one of them swearing under his breath. The other, looking up and noticing the Commander quickly stood to attention. “At ease gentlemen.” The Commander said, she pointed at the smaller of the two men, the one who had stood at attention and motioned for him to join her on the General's desk.

“Kane! What is this? Where's Desty and Volt, I ordered them to be here! Why are you here? What's going on?”

The Commander held up a hand and the General ceased to talk, “gentlemen,” she turned from one to the other, “care to explain?”

The bigger of the two men was still in the doorway, looking both ways, just now he looked up and saw the Commander perched on the desk, he gave a quick salute and then in short sharp breaths gave a recount, “Me and him. Working on... something technology. Things attacked, and we bolted. A1 through 6 is completely destroyed. Everyone is gone.”

“Well, where's Desty and Volt? I ordered them to be here!” The General repeated his question, but got no reply.

The Commander put her arm around the man, or rather old teen beside her and leant into him, “don't worry about him, he's just old.”

“Old! I am experienced-”

“Old, General. Just old. With exceptional trumpet skills.” She flashed a smile at him, he just snarled. “He's a puppy dog inside. Now, I don't think we have much time, I would say about ten or so minutes before these “savages” break through to this floor, so if we get down to business gentlemen? And you...” she turned and pointed at the General, “can start by telling me what this operation is...” and with that she folded her arms and waited for a reply. She turned to the teen, “would you be a darling and make us some coffee, I sure was woken up early this morning. It's Samuel, isn't it?”