Chapter 8: Flowering Hell

The Commander looked at the screen for the final time, the bounce back wave had hit the Past Hunters time period and just exploded. Waves were occurring from everywhere on the timeline, some bigger than others, but the multitude of the waves was astonishing.

“Oh my God,” she breathed, “it's happening, it's finally happening.” And then she saw it, a section of the timeline disappeared, the line simply stopped and then started again an inch later, time was deleting itself. Their timeline was being erased.

Again the Worm was thrown into the air and came back to the ground hard. Hacker was shunted into the log he was hiding behind, and Scorpio and Viper were dragged along the floor, their arms flailing madly trying to get a grip. There was a massive crack and Scorpio saw a tree collapsing, falling as if it was in slow motion, elegantly spinning. It hit the floor was a flump of pine needles and bark. Then another crack, and another, but this one was different, it tore through the air, almost deafening them.

And then one of the tree to Scorpio's left just vanished, instead, in its place was a blob of spiralling colours, shimmering and glowing slightly. Scorpio instinctively started to crawl towards it, “everyone, get to the portal.” She turned to see Hacker running over to Viper and help him onto his feet, but he just collapsed to the floor again.

There was a massive shriek as the Worm flung itself at Scorpio, gravity shifted and it was tossed off to the side, Scorpio sliding after it.

Hacker had given up on trying to pick up Viper and was now dragging him by his arms across the forest floor, they were almost to the portal, almost.

Scorpio started to crawl again, pulling herself hand over hand, her legs pushing what they could. She glanced up and sees Hacker and Viper at the portal, “go, go!” she screamed, still pulling herself towards them. She levered herself to her feet, wobbled and fell to her knees. Again she was up and this time she was running. The portal was right there ahead of her, she touched it with her outstretched fingers, something stabbed into her back, she screamed in agony, fell forwards and blacked out.

Scorpio awoke to colours and silence. She strained her ears, for a sound, any sound. But none came. She waited a minute or two and finally noticed a buzzing sound come to her ears and her vision finally swam into view. The buzzing increased in volume, and suddenly there was a pop and they cleared to a light breeze and the fluttering of leaves. She looked up at the sky, violet skies surrounded her. She propped herself up and groaned as the pressure in her back was eased, bringing out the pain of the gashes in her back. She pressed a hand onto her back and brought it back into view, her hand was bright red. A wave of heat flowed over her body.

“Jesus,” she cried and looked around. Where was she? She found herself to be surrounded by flowers, in every direction, everywhere she looked were flowers. She stood up slowly, groaning as she did so, as far as she could see were flowers in their multitude of colours and shapes. She spun round but there were even more flowers in the opposite direction, there were no trees, there were no hills or slopes, just a flat field of flowers which came up to her waist. She suddenly remembered Hacker and Viper and called out their names, there was no reply, she called again, and this time there was a moan in reply. She span to face the noise, noticed that there was a small clearing a few metres to her right and started to push through the flowers, her hands holding her weapon above her head. She made it to the clearing and found Viper on the floor, twisting and moaning in pain. Scorpio examined Viper's injuries, he had a lot. In total he had five huge needles stuck through him, four in his chest and one in his leg, he had a small but deep hole in his chest and his face was a mess in general.