The Book of Flowering Hell: Written and Illustrated by Geoffrey Jamerson

The Seed of the Future: 

(21/14/73) 

I planted myself on this moon over forty years ago. It was a “plant-researchers” dream, a moon filled with exotic plants, being paid to do research for the government of KV1. At least that was what it seemed at the beginning. I radioed the government every day with news of my research. Two weeks in and I radioed for my lab partner to be sent to help me in my investigation. He was sent to the moon and is expected to arrive within the next year. It seems a long time and it is, even in CrySleep. For the mean time I will continue my research into the plants that inhabit this moon. I am still working out why the government funded this experiment. Today I finally finished furnishing my underground shelter. The major experiments will start tomorrow. From what I've seen the flowers in question cover the entirety of the moon, although patches of non-growth have been found. The exact reason for these “crop circles” are currently unknown and are the location for the entrance of the shelter. 

I have calculated that because of the number of plants to area of atmosphere the oxygen levels will most probably get extremely high and may cause asphyxiation if the concentration reaches over 95%, and lung deficits meaning that the surface will only be accessible at times of no sun exposure. 

It is unknown if there are any living creatures living on the moon's surface or underground it.

The sun is starting to rise, I'll have to collect my first samples tomorrow. 

(21/15/78)

It has been 73 sun rises since I have heard from KV1, all communications have gone dead. Videophone, radio, even the Spire isn't working. Something must have gone wrong back at KV1. Something very bad. Still, my research continues. I have identified seven types of flower and two types of grass at this point. I have also found two different species of creature that live either on or under the ground level of this moon.

The moon was officially named Pandora by the government, but I believe this name to be cliché and so I have taken the effort to informally rename it, so I have recently been thinking up a name for this poisonous moon. My research is making remarkable bounds forwards. 

I have collected all seven species of flower and completed my preliminary experiments on them. They all seem to be related massively, sharing over 95% of their DNA with each other. The remaining DNA difference seems to code for the variety of their colour and shape but mainly of their poison characteristics. All but one share this poison characteristic.

I believe this is what the government sent me here for but I cannot be sure as communications are down for the time being. 

After many experiments results are finally coming to fruition. My gene results have come back positive and my poison tests are all positive results. This has brought me forward to the stage of categorising the species that I have found on this moon. The subject will be here soon, if my calculations are correct that should be in twelve days time. Then I can begin. 

For a start here I will categorise and revise all of my findings so far. 

(21/15/79)

The subject has arrived. His CrySleep engine is still running. If everything goes as planned he won't be conscious until twelve hours after the engine closes the CrySleep state. Anaesthetics can make that period much longer.