chapter two

Emily

I had gotten to Greg's 5 minutes after he'd needed. He didn't mind though and was just eternally grateful that I could come. I had to shove him out the door because he wouldn't stop thanking me.

"We're making cookies Emily!" Theo shouted excitedly as he stood up on the couch and began clapping his hands. I paused the movie we were watching and looked over at him.

"Says who?" I teased him as I stood up and grabbed him down from the couch. I began making my way towards the kitchen with Theo following close behind.

"Theo" He responded as he poked his chest with his small finger and continued to follow me.

"What should we make?" I asked him as I lifted him onto the kitchen bench and sat him down. He brought his finger up to his temple as he thought. He often did this when he was thinking hard and he looked quite adorable as he did it.

"Choc chip cookies. But we have to put ice cream in once they're done" Theo instructed me. I let out a chuckle and began grabbing out the ingredients we would need to make the cookies.

. . .

Theo and I were currently on the couch watching 'The Good Dinosaur'. He was sitting squished right against me with his head resting against my side. The lights were all turned off, giving the room as much of a cinematic effect as we could manage. We had put on a movie to pass time as our Christmas tree shaped cookies baked in the oven.

Suddenly I heard the door open. It couldn't be this late already. I looked up at the clock and was only just able to make out the time in the dark. 7:20. Greg wasn't due home for another 2 hours or so. I switched off the T.V and listened.

"Wh-" I quickly covered my hand over Theo's mouth before he could yell anything. I heard a lot of voices coming from the front door. It sounded like men who were trying to keep quiet but failing miserably. I picked up Theo from beside me and ran us behind the couch. I held my finger up to my lips, signalling for Theo to stay as silent as possible. I kept a tight grip on him as I crouched behind the couch.

I don't know who was breaking in and why, all I knew was I needed to get out of here with Theo. But that would be impossible seeing as the invaders were at the door. My eyes scanned the dark room as I looked around for any source of help. I heard the men coming down the hallway, whispering unknown words to each other. My eyes landed on a heavy hard cover book on the small table next to the couch. I grabbed it, figuring it could do some use. Not an escape route but it's a start.

"Emily" Theo whispered, barely above a whisper. I brought my finger back up to my mouth so he would stop talking. "But we can't leave without Fuzzy" He whispered again. Fuzzy was his stuffed bear. He always slept with him and took the toy with him everywhere. I shook my head at him in response.

"Don't turn the lights on. You'll wake them up" I heard someone whisper. The men had walked in the living room, leaving us with our only chance to escape.

I began scurrying behind the couch, as quickly and quietly as I could while still holding Theo and a heavy book. I had only been a meter when Theo's foot hit against the small table next to the couch. The whispering stopped and the room fell silent.

"What was that?" One of them said, their voice not a whisper anymore. 

"Lights, now" Someone else said. The lights flicked on and I placed Theo on the ground quickly as one of the men came behind the couch. I didn't even get a glimpse of the guy because I stood up as fast as I could and began hitting them over the head with the hard cover book. 

"STOP! STOP! SOMEONE FUCKING HELP ME!" The guy yelled as he shielded his head. There were shouts and yells filling the room as another man came running to help. I dropped the book and quickly went to pick up Theo, only to have the same guy I had been hitting grab me from behind.

"Who the hell are you and why are you-"

"Theo?!" Another guy yelled, interrupting the other guy holding me. I watched as he ran over and grabbed Theo. "What are you doing?" He asked in disbelief.

I stomped my foot against the guy holding me and tried to remove myself from his grip. It did nothing and I was rooted to the spot as the guy held me in a tight bear kind of hug.

"Uncle Niall!" Theo said as he buried his head in his chest. I quickly turned my attention towards Theo and the guy. I instantly recognized him as Niall Horan from One Direction. Theo looked like the spinning image of him. I knew that Niall was Greg's brother but meeting him was never something that crossed my mind. Especially not like this. My eyes widened in shock as I realised what I'd done. I looked around and saw Zayn, Liam and Louis. I lifted my head to see Harry holding me tightly. I'd seen him before. My eyes widened in shock.

"Your the dick that spilled your coffee all over me and then proceeded to yell at me!" I shouted as I pushed him off me.

"You're the klutz that ran into me, causing my coffee that I was going to drink, spill all over you" Harry said, just as angrily. Zayn was quick to step in between us.

"I'm sorry. He didn't mean to do it. He been in a shitty mood all day" Zayn apologized. I scoffed before wheeling around to face Theo. He was still held in Niall's arms as he cuddled up to him.

"Would anyone like to explain to me why you're here?" I asked, trying to hide the annoyance in my voice from Harry's shitty mood. "And why you made it sound like you were breaking in?" I added.

"Can we trust you to keep you big mouth shut?" Harry interjected angrily.

"Shut up Harry" Liam warned. Harry went to say something else but Zayn held a hand up, signalling he'd said enough. Harry sent a scowl my way that I returned even deeper before turning my attention back to the others.

"We always spend the first 2 weeks of December together if we're not on tour. Usually we stay with a family member. My brother was the only one that had room for all of us at the moment so we planned on staying with him. Speaking of Greg, where is he?" Niall answered.

"He's been called back in to work. That's why I'm here babysitting" I responded in a much nicer tone then I'd used with Harry.

"Do you have a name or are we going just going to refer to you as the self absorbed klutz for the rest of the night?" Harry asked coldly. I wheeled around to face him and just as I opened my mouth to respond Louis interrupted me.

"I swear to God, if you two don't shut up we'll lock you in a room together" Louis warned. I shut my mouth with a huff.

"I'm Emily" I responded as I turned my back to Harry, making sure I was talking to everyone but him.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"Cookies!" Theo screamed as he squirmed from Niall's arms and ran towards me. I scooped him up and made my way to the kitchen, glad to have an excuse to leave Harry's irritating presence.

Here's chapter 2!