"Ricky worked with us. His decisions got a few niggas killed back then. One of them was my father."

Ember didn't know what to say. A part of her felt it wasn't the whole truth but she knew that her father wouldn't lie to her. Her grandfather was around she was just a kid but she was old enough to remember a few things about him. When he died, she didn't quite understand what was happening. She just knew that was one of the first times she'd seen her father so down.

"Whatever this is that you and Adonis got going on, call him and end it." X said.

"But that has nothing to do with us."

"Now." X says sternly.

Ember stood to her feet but he stopped her.

"Do it here."

Ember sighed as she sat down in the chair again, dialing Adonis's number. It took him a moment but he answered.

"What's up, love?" Adonis answered.

X frowned at the sound of Adonis's voice. He raised his brow at Ember who sat there, tears rolling down her face.

"Baby?" Adonis asked again once he didn't hear her answer him.

Ember finally managed to get out her words, "I can't do this anymore, Adonis."

"Do what?" He questioned confusedly.

"Us." Ember sniffed.

"What you mean?"

"I just can't, Adonis. Okay?"

"Did I do something wrong? Talk to me, let me know." Adonis continued.

Ember couldn't talk to him any longer. She could hear the hint of hurt in his voice and she felt so bad, "I have to go."

She didn't give him the chance to protest as she quickly hung up. Ember stood to her feet again, not looking at her father, "Are you happy now?"

X grabbed her by the arm, squeezing tightly, "If I hear about you with him again or catch you out with that lil nigga, I'll kill him while you watch."

"Let go. Let me go!" Ember snatched away from him and stormed out of his office. This wasn't the first time he'd threatened to do something so sick.

Ember slammed her door shut and laid across her bed as she cried silently inside of her pillow.

***

Adonis's eyes darted back and forth between the detective and the police officer who were talking to his mother

Them stopping by was becoming an everyday thing now.

Paisley refused to talk. She hasn't said a word since they found her. They were trying to get her to talk but Paisley would start having an anxiety attack. The doctor was right.