Chapter 41

"I already told you, even I can't see anything!" Brant snapped at Aaron back in their camp.

"You saw the flashes, didn't you?" Aaron demanded, "And that weird spire of dust, wind, whatever?"

"I did. But that's it! Just because I can see far doesn't mean I can see through things."

"I don't understand why you two don't just bloody trust Ace." Wendy said.

Brant narrowed his eyes. "That's new, coming from you."

"And it's new of you not to trust your bloody pal."

"To be fair," Baird said, "I'm not sure it's so much that we're not trusting Ace, as it is that we know what Dove can do."

"Exactly!" Aaron agreed, "And they've been over there a long time."

Brant's breath caught in his throat when he heard an earsplitting boom overhead. His eyes climbed skyward, and his jaw dropped open at the sight of Dove floating above, his ceremonial white robes fluttering in the mystical winds emanating from the olive branch in his grip. Around him, he levitated a somber-faced Ryder and Keira, along with a sobbing Hannah, and Ace, who had a gaping hole that gushed blood below his ribs. Brant's hand leapt to his mouth.

"Hearken unto me, thou puny mortals." Dove thundered as he gently descended with his four trembling captives. "At this time, I bestow upon thee—"

"Shut your flippin' mouth!" Brant bellowed, lines deepening in his brow as an axe appeared in his hand. "What'd you do to Ace? What'd you do?!"

Dove chuckled. "I assure thee, I shall inform thee shortly, but—"

He grunted when an arrow penetrated his chest, which he promptly swept away and healed the wound with his winds. The glare Wendy focused on him only received a patronizing grin in reply.

"Thou art all too ready to speak and act, but loath to listen. Fortunately for thee, I am the god of mercy."

Brant's widened eyes rested on Ace as he finally touched down in the grass, limp and lifeless. Then he eyed Hannah, who bawled in the grass. "If this is your mercy, you'd better prepare to know my wrath in turn."

"Away with thy chatter!" Dove shouted, the smile instantly disappearing from his face, "I tire of thy impetuosity, and thy unwillingness to use the two ears good Xinibra bestowed on thee!"

Brant growled. "Hurry up before I shove a blasted tentpole through your ears."

Dove chuckled again. "Thou hast sent these thy friends into the midst of my camp, presumably to slay me. Now they lie in my power, and I may do with them whatever I wish. And now I shall teach thee mercy, if thou will but hold thy fiery tongues for a moment."

Brant, Aaron, and Wendy glowered at the god, but remained silent. Baird watched skeptically from behind them, his hand lingering on the hilt of the sword sheathed on his back.

"Here lieth Ace Bernard Parker, a skilled man indeed, deft of hand and nimble of foot. And thou hast raised him up as a weapon, fashioned by thee to murder me. Now, Brant Nayan, I ask thee, if thou stood in my shoes, in a manner of speaking, what would thou do with him?"

He gulped. "I'd...I dunno. I'd probably execute him."

"And see, there liest thy hypocrisy, thy double standards! Thou thinkest thyself morally superior to me, and yet, such barbarism lies so close to the surface of thy cold, cruel heart. I, on the other hand, am Dove, god of peace and mercy."

"Oh yeah? Show us this mercy." Aaron spat, eyes darting between Keira, Hannah, and Ace.

"I shall eagerly oblige thee. After all, for that very reason have I come. Witness mercy, and stand condemned, rebels."