Chapter 34

Brant's heart pounded as he sped toward Aaron. He groped at his belt for a cylindrical device called a breath-saver. Its tank only held about three breaths' worth of oxygen, but even that was better than drowning. Aaron's suit carried one as well, so if Brant could only drive Cormorant away, they had six breaths to spare him while they somehow struggled to shore. 

Of course, "defeat Cormorant" is easier said than done, he reminded himself. 

Brant grunted when Cormorant swept him aside yet again. He despaired of ever saving his comrade. When he jetted forward again, he only achieved the same result. 

A bubble of air appeared around Aaron's mouth as Cormorant peeled him off the wall he'd been pressed against. The man choked and gasped on the newfound air. The god floated a little distance above Brant and stared down. 

"It's only my power that's keeping the water from your friend's face, so you'd better not try anything." Cormorant commanded. 

Brant hung his head and sighed before looking back up. "What do you want?" 

"I want your compliance." 

"You have it." 

Cormorant's sigh rumbled through the waters. "Why have you given yourself to this folly, Nayan? Of all people, you should know the cost of working with these...rebels. These criminals." 

"A small price to pay for righteousness, I'm afraid." 

"Oh, is that so? Because last time we spoke, Baird's felony was to you the greatest abomination imaginable, the pinnacle of evil. And now you venture to call it righteousness?" 

"Emperor Pietrovo championed a lifestyle I can no longer stomach." Brant said carefully, eyes fixed on the air bubble around Aaron's mouth. He tensed at the slightest variation in its size. "Besides, I've seen far greater abominations since, and those with my own eyes." 

Cormorant crossed his arms. "Like what?" 

"Well, for one thing, Dove—" 

"Never mind." the god of the waters interrupted, "The ancients were right. 'The foolish wallow in folly, while the wise bathe in their wisdom'. Your chance to be reasoned with has already passed away, Nayan, and you'll soon be swept away in the judgement of Dove." 

Brant sighed. "Maybe you're right. But please, spare Aaron. Your quarrel is with me, not—" 

"My quarrel is with those who would oppose my divine brother!" Cormorant roared, causing all the nearby fish to dart away. "He has rendered your traitorous exploits possible!" 

"That's true. But perhaps we can reach a compromise." 

"On what grounds?" 

Brant shrugged. "You hold the power here. The terms are yours to make and ours to accept." 

A moment of silence descended over the three before Cormorant spoke again. "I will spare his life on one condition. You must both submit yourselves to my watch, and also tell me where your allies have gone." 

"By that, I assume you mean you'll take us captive?" Brant squinted at a strange movement in the water behind the god. 

"Of cou—" 

A missile decloaked just before making impact with Cormorant. An explosion ensued, sending his blood into the water and hurling Aaron elsewhere. Then a squadron of winged submarines banked around the corner from behind a cluster of buildings, closely resembling ravens in shape. They pestered the bleeding god with bullets, giving Brant an opening to rush over to Aaron.