I longed for my history and my heritage, but it was all burnt to the ground and destroyed. From what I was told, no pack inhabited that land anymore; they left it for nature to take over.

Glancing at my worn watch, I was astounded to find it was six-thirty already, so I made my way back to the packhouse in my constant daydream. Most wolves were up at eight for breakfast and training, so I hurried to confine myself away from their hate-filled glares.

***

Someone was pounding on my door.

Taking off my headphones, I was unaware of who it was since I did not have the heightened wolf's senses or mind link yet. Merely human, with just the hint of wolf DNA waiting to come to life.

"Who is it?" I asked politely.

"It's moi." The deep voice chuckled.

I surprised a smile and spun around from my desk. "Come in, Dad."

He entered with a cheerful smile. His warm chocolate eyes glanced around until he found me sitting at my desk in the corner.

"Working hard?" He wondered, stepping in and shutting the door behind him.

I chuckled. "D-Dad, even you know I'm not d-d-doing anything."

He sat on the edge of my bed, fluffing my pillow. "Yeah, I know, Dad. This is my only day off in the week!"

I gaped at his imitation. "I do-do n-no...not sound like that!"

He hummed. "Okay Ember, sure you don't."

I grumbled at the use of my nickname but turned back around and continued with my drawing. My parents had named me Nova Hope, which translated to new hope, rather corny, if you ask me. But Dad insisted on calling me Ember because of how my skin was a multitude of burns and flames when they found me. And the fact it spelt November when put together.

Dad jokes.

"Reginald," I grumbled.

"That is father to you, Ember." He chuckled, not bothered by the use of his name. "Ah well, best be off. I just wanted to see if you wanted to go for the pack run."

I shook my head. "Dad, you know I can't sh-shift, and they'll just b-b-bully me about it."

My father knew of the torments to a certain extent; thought it was just name-calling. But he persisted in me joining in on the pack fun even though he knew I never would.

"Okay Ember, if you change your mind, I'll be the most handsome wolf there." He chortles before leaving the room.

I blew my fringe from my face with a roll of my eyes. Dad was so cocky, even as an omega; he was proud. With wavy, chin-length brown hair that he always curved behind his ears, he was proud of his appearance. Even though he was mated, he still caught the eye of many women.

When they were just eighteen years old, he encountered my mother while hunting. She was from a neighbouring pack when he caught her scent across the border. Many moons later, they were mated and expecting their first child; my older brother Leo.

Leo was a twenty-one-year-old brunette, much like my father, with the same deep chocolate eyes. I eventually joined the family when I was four, and he was five, and the close age gap between me and Leo meant we had a good bond.

My parents were omegas, but they enjoyed the graft. My mother was always in the kitchen as one of the head chefs and my father was often out on patrols. Our pack did not discriminate against omega wolves, but we were not as privileged as the in-between and higher-ranking wolves. Leo had gained a warrior status at only nineteen-years-old and travelled to another pack to 'help' but I think it was really in search of his mate. He dreams he'll make it as a gamma, a third in command, even though it wasn't in his blood.