I wore my trainers that hardly squeaked on the wood floor and quietly made my way out of my room and downstairs. The omegas on breakfast duty today would've been up since five, so they had already unlocked the main front doors.

The front door shut softly behind me and I deeply inhaled as the breath-taking sunrise across the horizon met my eyes.

This was the only time I ever had peace for myself. Early in the morning, when all the important pack members were asleep. It was just the lower ranks rushing around cleaning or cooking. Thankfully, I had today off work. Most pack members didn't treat me fairly, but Alpha Damien ensured everyone received fair treatment in terms of work. Little did he know I was constantly the target of everyone's insecurities.

Let me get into this a little.

When I was three years old,my pack, the Rivera pack, found me floating in a river, my body marred with marks and burns. I have no recollection of how I ended up in that river and clinging to a tree branch, but Alpha Damien and his men were out on patrols when I washed into their sand bed.

After hearing that a resistance pack took down a pack in the mountains, he immediately took me in. I never did, and still never, know the full extent of the situation. I was told that there was no longer a pack there, otherwise I would've gone exploring a long time ago.

People did not accept my type well. I was an outsider who took up Alpha Damien's time, so he left me in the trust of an omega family. My adoptive parents were lovely, but even they did not realise the extent of the torments I awaited just for existing. It didn't help that I was twenty years old and still haven't shifted.

Most female wolves shift when they turn fourteen, usually after they have gone through human puberty. Male wolves turned at sixteen years old since they went through puberty later than us. It was always a celebration when a normal wolf shifted; a hunt usually followed by a barbecue and a night of partying.

When I turned eighteen, no one seemed to care other than my parents. We weren't exactly sure of my age, so we went with my "GOTCHA" day for my birthday celebrations. They estimated me to be shy of three when they took me in, so we just went with it. Along with being an outsider, I had not shifted, hence the bullying. In a pack's eyes, I was not normal and most did not want me here.

Alpha Damien has two children, a daughter called Rosie, and a son called Steven who had yet to take over since he had not found his mate; soul mate, that is.

Every single wolf had a soul mate, another half made just for them. We find our soul mates at eighteen years old and a wolf born into alpha status like Steven cannot take the position until they have a mate or the old alpha dies. They can challenge the position, but that is to the death. That is why Sophie is his to-be mate. If he does not find his true mate by twenty-five, he gets betrothed to a female worthy of the position. Pack politics.

( Copyright - w a t t p a d )

The elders always said that a wolf's 'true potential' is achieved through mating. That's why he cannot take over his father's leadership. He was twenty-four now, still mateless. His sister Rosie was turning eighteen this week, hence why the wolves were running about cooking and cleaning. It's not every day your alpha pup turns eighteen.

I walked through the woods, following the stream that I had lost myself in so many years ago. If I had just kept drifting, maybe I would've found a better pack that accepted me more. One that didn't harm me both mentally and physically.

I rubbed the faded white marks that adorned my skin. The burns I had received as a child were so severe that even enhanced wolf medication could not shift the scarring. I was thankful that the pack doctor could skin graft and save what he could, but most of the scars were on my forearms and legs. I must've been crawling through the fire or something; nothing about my childhood makes sense. But I remember the pain and the needles, and I have hated hospitals ever since.