"Liyah!" Chris exclaims a greeting, happily. He drops the tong he was using to flip burgers and pulls her into a warm hug, enveloping her in the scent of sausage and just plain meat. She almost made the decision to become vegan with how overwhelming it was, "Mi nuh see mi niece since the wedding weh yuh plan. How life?"

"I've been good, Uncle Chris," Aliyah says, her hand squeezing Elijah's, "How about you? How's Crystal?"

"She good, man. Ova desso a nyam." He points to a seating area some ways away.

Aliyah nods before sparing a glance at her mother who was looking anywhere but at her. She could feel the discomfort radiating off of the man behind her as he follows in Kiara's footsteps, looking everywhere but at the group of people.

A part of Liyah hoped that her uncle would get the memo and try to get his sister to acknowledge the fact that her daughter is standing right in front of her, but he doesn't.

Instead, he turns to Elijah, "And you must be Aliyah's boyfriend."

Aliyah almost chokes on air and Elijah's eyes widen, significantly.

This captures Kiara's attention.

"So, you a di man weh fix up mi son and nuh call me?" Her voice drips poison as she folds her arms over her chest.

"Mommy ━" Aliyah stops her from going any further. She raises her eyebrow at her, receiving an expectant look in return.

"And di one daughta weh nuh call mi fi a whole month," Kiara rants, capturing the attention of those closest to the grill but she sends them the famous Kiara Stare that has them looking away.

"Mommy, I was busy." Aliyah didn't even have to finish her sentence to figure out where she went wrong. She could see the gears turning in her mother's mind when her eyebrow shoots up, dangerously. But, she can't take it back. The only thing she can do is brace for impact.

"Busy? Yuh too busy fi call yuh owna mada weh carry yuh fi nine months? Likkle gyal nuh boda mek me an yuh have nun out ya eno ━"

Behind Aliyah, Elijah coughs to cover his snicker, but Chris cracks up, loudly.

"Mommy," Aliyah hisses, leaning forward. Exhaling through her nose, the wedding planner just throws her head back and changes the subject, "The cake is in the fridge."

Kiara doesn't bite the bait, "Right yah now, mi nuh care bout nuh cake."

Aliyah resists the urge to roll her eyes before pursing her lips, sending her mother a look which read, 'Please calm down and wait till later.' A minute passes in which the only sound amongst the four is the sizzling of a shrimp kebab on the grill.

Finally, Kiara narrows her eyes, which is as close as Aliyah is going to get to okay for now. She sends her mother a fake smile before turning her head slightly.

Catching sight of a fruit platter on the table by the grill, Aliyah's eyes widen in excitement, "Ooh, pineapples."

"WELL, THAT WENT WELL," Elijah says, sarcastically as he hops into the driver's seat of his car

"WELL, THAT WENT WELL," Elijah says, sarcastically as he hops into the driver's seat of his car. The sun sank below the horizon two hours ago, leaving the party to run in the darkness.

Aliyah enjoyed it ━ the blowing of the candles, the dancing in the middle of the yard, the Cha Cha Slide blasting from the speakers, the prospective noise complaint that would come from one of the lame neighbors.

It was the most fun she's had in public in a month.

She quickly connected that Elijah's sarcasm came from the awkward moment with Kiara Pryce that seemed to last a lifetime. Though he planted a smile on his face for Kyree and Aliyah, she knew that he was still recovering from the scolding and sheer embarrassment.

"Your mom doesn't like me," Elijah mumbles as he starts the car.

Munching on a juicy slice of pineapple, Aliyah shakes her head, "Good thing we came for Ky." She sends him a playful smirk before seeing the serious look on his face, "Oh, come on, you thinking bout it too much."

He sends her a look, "You sure bout that?"

She nods, "Eyes on the road," She commands before continuing, "Yes, I am sure about that. She's just mad because I haven't spoken to her about, y'know ━ which I will. And when I do, she'll get out that grumpy ass mood and love you."

"Hmm," He hums, his head falling back against the headrest, lazily. He replays her words in his head, "Lee?"

"Yes, Eli?" She plops another slice into her mouth.

A moment passes in which Eli taps his finger against the steering wheel, his mind racing with thoughts that he had no time to sort through.

Then, finally, he gathers enough willpower to ask the question that pushed its way to the surface.

"What are we?"

LMFAOOOOOO Y'ALL I'M SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG TO WRITE