Chapter 4

Hi everyone!

Guess what! Here's another part out on time so that's fun! This chapter was a little hard to write considering that I don't know very much about adoption hearings so I was just doing my best. One mystery will be revealed next week: what did Roman say to Remus during their fight? So next weeks will probably be a shorter chapter.

TW: Fighting, that's it I think but tell me if I missed something.

Love from, Cora

~~~~~~~~

Patton was having a bad day.

Well, he was having a bad day, following a bad day, which was following a bad day, which-

You know what? Patton was having a bad couple weeks.

With school back in session, his boyfriend and Remus still fighting, and Virgil being more distant than normal with his court date coming up Patton was just doing his best to keep a smile pasted onto his face. He really hated having to choose between his friends and his boyfriend but it was happening and at this point Patton might be the only thing keeping their group together.

Snap back to the present. Patton was sitting on a bench outside the courthouse holding Virgil's hand. They were waiting for the rest of their friends to show up as moral support for the adoption hearing. Thomas was standing a few feet away, talking quietly with Joan and glancing excitedly back at Virgil every few words. He looked happy.

"Virgil! Patton!" A voice called. Both their heads snapped up and they saw Roman making his way up the big stone steps. Patton rushed to meet him, greeting him with a kiss, and looked back to see Virgil still on the bench. Roman frowned.

"He's really nervous," Patton explained. Roman pursed his lips and ran a hand through his thick hair.

"And he's still mad at me," Roman murmured. Patton shrugged. He took his boyfriend's hand and dragged him over to the bench. "Hey, Tall, Dark, and Gruesome."

Virgil nodded in greeting. "H-hi, P-Princey." It was cold but at least he was talking to him. Patton frowned and sat next down once again beside Virgil.

"It'll be alright, Kiddo." Patton reminded him, offering up what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "You are getting adopted and it'll be great." Virgil nodded slowly. His hand was shaking in Patton's.

"Plus Thomas is like the most caring person ever, there's no way they could have turned him away," Roman said, setting a hand on Virgil's shoulder.

"Stormcloud!" A voice called. Logan was running up the steps with Remus and Janus at his heels. This time it was Virgil who ran to meet his boyfriend. "Sorry we're late, Jan was practicing his driving." He gave his brother a teasing look and Janus hissed at him.

"How ya feelin' Virgie?" Remus asked, slinging an arm around Virgil's shoulders. Roman shifted uncomfortably behind them. Virgil shrugged and looked down at the ground in response. He said something quiet that Patton didn't catch and Logan smiled.

"Vigril, Bud, it's time," Thomas said, gesturing for Virgil to follow him. He offered a comforting hand on his back and murmured comforts as the group made their way inside.

"Good luck Kiddo!" Patton called as they sat at the table in front of the judge. The rest of the group offered assurances as well before a gavel slammed down and there was quiet. An old looking judge was sitting before them and he began speaking. Patton honestly wasn't sure what was going on, as he wasn't versed in the ways of court, but it was exciting nonetheless.

~~~~~~~~

Virgil was nervous, as would be expected. He sat before a judge next to Thomas and tried hard to listen to what he was saying but it was all ringing in his ears. He was tapping his fingers aggressively on the wooden table. He could feel eyes on his back.

"The court approves the adoption of one Virgil Cosanta by one Thomas Sanders." His head snapped upward and he froze in both shock and relief. He'd been adopted. There was cheering behind him. Something wet splashed onto his hand and he realized he was crying with joy. He turned and there was Patton, arms open for a hug which he gladly accepted.

"Congratulations kiddo!" He squealed. More people piled onto the hug and he was so happy. Suddenly he was pulled from Patton's arms into Thomas's- his dad's. He held him tight, squeezing him. His ears were still ringing but this time it was from all the noise instead of nervousness.

"I think this deserves some celebration," Thomas said with a squeeze of his hand. More cheering from his friends, "don't you think, Mr. Virgil Sanders?"

Sanders.

Virgil Sanders.

Ecstasy flowed through him as he realized he finally had a family. He'd had one for a while now. He had been adopted before his 18th birthday- granted not by very much- and he was finally accepted.

"T-that sounds-s g-great."

~~~~~~~

Pattons was happy for the first time in a while as they exited the courthouse. Thomas had suggested they all go out for ice-cream in celebration of the adoption and they had all readily agreed. He was honestly quite happy until they got to the ice cream parlour.

Once they had all gotten their ice cream the unspoken agreement between Roman and Remus to be civil seemed to break. They were all sitting at one table by a window but the air was thick with tension. Glares shot across the table made it hard to enjoy the celebration.

"Seriously? You guys are still fighting?" Joan asked in disbelief, raising an eyebrow at the teens around the table. No one answered. Remus shot another glare at his brother.

"Maybe if someone would apologize," he grumbled under his breath. Roman made an offended noise, gesturing with his spoon.

"I won't apologize. It was my opinion," He shot back, pointing at Remus. Everyone at the table was silent as Remus's eyes began to shimmer with held back tears. "I think I'll be going now." He said, quickly standing and fleeing from the parlour.

"Ro, wait!" Patton stood and rushed after him. Once outside the shop Roman called his father to pick him up as he still hadn't gotten his license and glared at the ground before noticing Patton.

"Pat, you didn't have to check on me." He mumbled, still staring at the ground. At this point Patton had had enough. He was so tired of trying to hold everyone together, so he decided it was time for one of his Serious Dad™ talks.

"Sweetie, why can't you just apologize?" He asked, taking Romans hand. Roman scuffed one of his shoes on the pavement. "I know you think it's about pride but there's no shame in apologizing." He assured.

"Because what I said was true." Roman said, eyes hardening. He didn't look like he'd convinced himself. "I won't apologize for the truth." A car was honking behind him and Roman turned to walk away.

"Ro!" Patton yelled. "Roman, if you don't apologize it's gonna ruin all of us!" He yelled. Roman paused for a moment but didn't turn. Frustrated tears welled in Patton's red face.

Patton was having a bad day.

Patton was having a bad couple weeks.