Chapter 2

Okay, I had a lot of trouble writing this chapter. I haven't been the most motivated recently in the writing sections so sorry if this sucks a bit.

Welcome to the first day of senior year, full of old girlfriends, bullies, and drama beyond all belief. The main angst will be coming soon don't worry.

Remember to stay safe and try to support those who are protesting, maybe protest yourself. I know people have their own opinions but I need to say it:

IF YOU ARE AGAINST BLM, you are unwelcome here.

IF YOU SUPPORT ALLLIVESMATTER OR BLUELIVESMATTER, you are unwelcome here.

IF YOU THINK THE RIOTS AND PROTESTING ARE UNJUSTIFIED AND IRRATIONAL, you need to unfollow me right now.

I am not black, but I support the black community all the way. I cannot possibly understand your pain or your suffering but I am with you. Now and forever.

Love from, Cora

TW: pot (marijuana) mention, swearing

~~~~~~~~

September 1st, 2019.

The first day of senior year.

Virgil chewed his lip as he stepped out of Thomas's car and looked up at the all too familiar school. It had been about a year since he'd been here but this place was unforgettable. This was where he'd met Remy and Emile, where he'd actually been liked by some students and teachers, which was uncommon, and where he'd actually been in a good home. At least until they were arrested for pot smuggling. Now, looking up at the building, he was nervous. He'd left so many loose ties and there were still plenty of bullies.

"Bud, you okay?" Thomas asked him, adjusting the bag on his shoulder so he could place a hand on Virgil's arm. "You look a bit sick."

He felt sick. "I-I'll b-be fine D-dad," Virgil tried, brushing off the hand. Thomas frowned.

"You'll do fine Virge. You already know the school and you already have friends here. Speaking of, where id Logan say he'd meet you?" Virgil shrugged.

"I-in your l-lab-b." Thomas smiled and grabbed his hand, pulling him along.

"Well then, we'd better get there." Thomas waved into the doors and windows of classrooms along the way, stopping occasionally to chat. He had let go of Virgil's hand but the boy was still following closely behind him.

"Hey, Thomas!" A woman's voice called out. It was sweet and familiar. "Who's this?" Virgil raised his eyes and gave her a small wave.

"This is my son, Virgil." The two froze. He'd never said that Virgil was his son before. Thomas's smile grew even wider as he whispered the words once more under his breath. The woman smiled and stuck out her hand. Virgil grasped it softly.

"Nice to meet you, Virgil, I'm Ms Torres-Rosario, you can call me Valerie outside of school hours. I teach the acting classes here." He mumbled out a response and she looked at him a little closer. "Virgil. I recognize you. Have we met before?"

"Y-yeah. I-I used-d t-to go here and-d I w-would help out-t b-backstage f-for theatre." He stuttered. Her face lit up.

"That's it! You were always so good backstage, and so polite. I was sad to see you go." She shot him a smile and kept walking. "Well I hope to see you backstage for this year's shows!" Then she was gone. Thomas gave his arm a light punch and began walking again.

"See bud, nothing to worry about."

Since Thomas was teaching here they were earlier than most other students. Virgil sat in Thomas's classroom on his phone until he heard the stampede of footsteps in the hall and a familiar voice in the doorway.

"Salutations Mr Sanders," Logan said with a wave before helping Virgil to his feet. "Salutations, Stormcloud." He pressed a kiss to Virgil's hand and the boy laughed, pulling him into a full kiss. Thomas cleared his throat and the two broke apart.

"Maybe not in my classroom. The bell is ringing soon and you have places to be." The two pushed into the crowded hallway and started following the flow. Logan walked him to his first class, maths, and left him with a squeeze of his hand. One glance over the classroom and Virgil sat next to Pattonjust as the bell rang. He sure hoped Logan wasn't late.

"Virgilius Cosanta." He hadn't even realized the teacher was doing role call. He replied with a quiet "here" and he continued. Whispers echoed through the small room at his name. God, why did he have to have such a weird name?

"Here," Patton happily chirped next to him. Virgil focused on him to calm his nerves. Patton was drawing a chain of small circles in his notebook and while Virgil couldn't feel it, watching the repetitive motion was soothing him. Patton leaned over to him. "How're you doing?" He shrugged.

Most of his classes went on like this, him paying attention but just barely. He had at least a few of his classes with someone he knew, whether they be an old friend or a current one. He let out a breath of relief when lunch finally came and scanned the cafetorium for Remus, who had the same lunch as him. Well, Roman did too but he'd rather chew off his own foot than sit with Roman until the twins made up. He finally found Remus sitting at a table in the dead centre of the room, not the most comfortable place for Virgil, with Emile and Logan. Lo was flipping through a textbook while the other two talked animatedly. Virgil threw his bag down onto the floor and sat in the chair between Remus and Logan, leaning onto his boyfriend.

"Someone looks tired." Remus teased, taking a break from the conversation he was having and pointing his fork at Virgil. Virgil just grunted in response.

"I'm so tired of hearing my name. I mean, every class they say my full name and it's so frustrating." Logan lowered his book and held his hand, seemingly interested in the conversation now that he was here.

"Well Virgil ain't that bad. I've heard worse names." Remus tried to console. Emile shook his head softly as Logan groaned.

"That is not proper grammar, Remus. The correct sentence would be 'well Virgil isn't that bad'," He corrected, "and I personally like the name Virgil. It is a very classical name."

"Too classical," Virgil groaned, "the name of a Roman poet is not a good name for a kid."

"Oh come on, Virgilius," Emile teased. He groaned louder and hid his face in his arms. Remus let out a crazed giggle.

"Virgilius? 'Ats a fancy one, V." He said. Virgil shooed him off, insisting that they never call him that. He sat up and turned, scanning the room for Patton or Remy, as they were supposed to have this lunch. After no sign of them, only the sight of Roman happily chatting up the football team at another table, he turned back to his friends. Lunch was going great as the two joined them and they continued talking. Until he heard it, a loud voice and soft footsteps. A familiar girl spoke behind him.

"Virgie?"

Well fuck.