Chapter 01: Happy Twentieth Birthday

Comincia dall'inizio

This isn't the first time they are acting weird whenever I bring up the discussion of my twentieth birthday, it was like they are dreading something.

"Are you guys worried I'd move out?"

My mom freezes and my dad places a hand over hers to calm her down, I grow worried when I see tears gather at the corner of her eyes.

"Of course, we are...excited about your birthday, but enough talk about birthdays let's have our breakfast." Dad points at our half-eaten meal, Isabelle is almost done with hers and Earnest looks like he was eating hurriedly just so he could go watch his favorite TV show or go play with the neighbor kids, whatever.

I nod, "Okay, but this isn't the end of this discussion I'm just letting it go now because I'm trying to protect my mental health," I point a fork at them both and they force a smile. "Oh! A friend of mine is hosting a Halloween party tomorrow and you cannot say no because in a way the party could be considered a birthday party for yours truly." I say with a smile on my lips, that smile almost disappears when it looked like my dad was about to protest but my mom sends him a look that makes him slump in his seat.

"You have to be home by eleven Aurora." He says sternly and I frown.

"Parties are always hot by then dad! Any time before then could be called a class session!" Then I quickly added, "Besides, twenty dad! I'll be twenty!"

"That's the deal, 11 pm or none!"

"Or you could just sit at home." Isabelle chirps before bringing her juice to her lips. I ignore her and nod at my dad.

When I finished my breakfast I went to my room to call my friends informing them I'd be going to the party, thankfully.

My room has pale pink walls with a grey contrast, a double bed, and a connected bathroom.

"Flora, I'm going to the party!" I say excitedly, to my friend through a video call.

"I thought you said your parents wouldn't let you," she replies, brushing her pink hair.

"Well, they did. It's a good thing I have an outfit ready," she nods in agreement with me.

The rest of the day was spent in my room chatting with my friends who wished me an early birthday.

Now it's nighttime and we are watching a movie. "I'm going trick or treating tomorrow with Ernest and my friends," Isabelle announces,

"Dad she's too young" I tease.

"I'm twelve!" She yells at me.

"It's okay, Izzy. You can go, as long as you don't go too far" dad placates her. Isabelle sticks her tongue out and I do the same.

"Do you have your outfit ready?" my mom asks after an hour of watching... I don't even know the title...

"yes" I nod. I refuse to tell her what I'm going on, she will think it's inappropriate.

"Who are you going as?" She questions excitedly. "Uh......" She looks so happy, and she hasn't looked this happy in the last few days, I don't have the heart to refuse her.

"First of all, you have no right to complain about my outfit" I warn, and she nods slowly.

"I'm going as Harley Quinn" I grin, the smile on her face vanishes and is replaced with a scowl. "I'm twenty!" I say, and she grows quiet with my dad. Again with the worried faces..! This is becoming too much, I really need to clear this issue after my birthday, I decide.